How Do You Focus?

Jimi Ray Halen

• Members

Everybody has been in this situation:

It's time to start and there's only a few people in the house. You start playing and the lack of an audience makes it hard to concentrate. So your mind starts wandering. Before you know it, you're on autopilot. You try to reign it back in and focus on the people who are there, but it's difficult.

This happened to me Sat. I was having a hard time in the first set. I was having brain farts and thinking about other things. The more I tried to focus, the worse it became.

By the time we started the second set the place started filling up and I had no problems from then on. By the end of the set until closing the place was full and I redeemed myself.

I have a hard time putting on my "A" game unless there's at least somewhat of a crowd. Does anybody else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? A friend of mine told me that he pretends he's recording for a live album in this situation. It didn't work for me.

• Members

I've never experienced it myself, I'm always very excited to get on stage and play & rock hard .... even if there are, say 6 or less people in the audience (=more ppl on stage than on the dancefloor), cuz well....they deserve to be entertained, since they took the time to get there

And if no one shows up, there's still the other band members... So I try to make them smile /pull faces (adding some freak sounds, or bits of ABBA songs during guitarsolos, cowbell noises in piano ballads, or playing kneeling down) anyway, it kinda like in rehearsals, just playin/foolin around with your bandmates... and sometimes there are people dancin in front as well, heh heh..

• Members
It's time to start and there's only a few people in the house. You start playing and the lack of an audience makes it hard to concentrate.

I've experienced the opposite a few times over the years. If the house is packed and rocking, some guys start getting all hammy. The next thing you know they're so busy showing off and "working the crowd" that they're making mistakes all over the place. Either way, the more a band plays together, the fewer problems they will have and the tighter they will be regardless of the circumstance.

• Members

Yeah, it's one thing to say and another thing to do. There were some people there to see us and I tried focusing on them. I even went over to their table (singular) and played for 'em.

After the first few songs I said to the other guys "Well, let's just have fun and try out some new stuff that we wouldn't normally do, 'cause I'm just not feeling it tonight." So we did.

Got thru the first set and I just had that icky "off night" feeling. You guys know the feeling.

But then people starting coming in and by the middle of the 2nd set there was a good sized crowd. At which point you stop thinking so much and just do. I forgot about everything else and ended up having a pretty good night all in all. I know the bar owner was happy that it picked up.

But it is SO much easier to get into it when you're feeling the energy of lots 'o people watching ya'. I think I went around and personally thanked everybody in the bar for coming out. :)

But there will be other nights like that where it may not be crowded at all. I just have to find a way to deal with it. Makes you appreciate people who like to see live bands. Because without them it ain't much of a party.

• Members

Yeah, it's easier to get into it when there's a big crowd, but if you can get the same intensity going for a small crowd they are much more impressed, and you'll have fans for life.

When it's an off night we're always very grateful to those few folks who came out to see us and we make a point of working as hard for them as we would if there was a huge crowd. And they always comment on how much they appreciate that. I think the first time an A&R scout saw Bruce Springsteen there were less than 10 people in the crowd, and what impressed the scout was that Bruce played as if he were in an arena. So I guess that's another thing to keep in mind... you never know who might be in that small crowd, maybe somebody who'd like to hire you for a lucrative future gig.

It can also help to have lots of lights so you can't really see how big (or small) the crowd is. :)

In any case, we're going to have to get really good at this, since we're about to start doing gigs in virtual reality, in which case the audience isn't going to be in the actual room with us at all. We're gonna have to play in our practice room with the same intensity of a gig. I think we can do it, but it'll be weird for sure.

• Members

Yeah, it's weird. I can't get excited about band practice either, and that's what it feels like when hardly anybody is there. I need that energy feedback loop to get my blood pumping.

But you are absolutely right, Lee. You never know who is out there. I haven't done enough gigs yet to be pro enough to pull out the A game no matter what. That's why I was asking if anybody has any mind tricks or mantras or anything. It's not like I don't appreciate the folks who are there. I do. And they deserve your best. But like I say, saying and doing are two different things. And there is no substitute for experience.

• Members

Yes, experience does help, although sometimes it can work the opposite way too and people get burned out and jaded, which makes them not be on top of their game. So I think experience and motivation have to be treated as two separate things.

As far as Jedi mind tricks, I don't know if we really have any, not consciously anyway. It's just that we love playing, and we have really good band chemistry, and I think as individuals we all think of music the same way we always have since we were kids: as a pure emotional expression. When we start playing it's always like somebody uncorked a bottle that's been sitting under pressure for awhile, and everything we can't or wouldn't dare to express in everyday life comes out. So I guess that makes it pretty easy to stay focused. :D

• Members

I feel the same way about this. I feel like with a smaller crowd I can count how many eyes are on me, but with a big crowd I can just get lost in it, and I stop worrying about who or how many people might be watching.

Isn't it strange how that works?

I hate knowing that if I jump out to do a solo while crowdsurfing, that I might be dropped :)

• Members

Caffiene, like Red Bull, or something helps with the focus.

As far as sucking it up and giving a good performance when the house is more than half empty?

Just depends on my mood and the audience reaction.

If they are listening and giving me some feedback, I'll give them a good show.

If they're totally indifferent to my presence, I'm not going to make the listen to me, and I'll just "phone it in".

I remember playing solo, one weeknight, and being totally into a Braves game on the tv, and I suddenly realized I had played "Your Song" on total autopilot...I came to, just as the song was ending.

At that point, I realized I probably needed a break from my solo gigging if I could become that disconnected from the music.

It was a fascinating lesson in left and right brain independence, however.

• Members

I have to say I've felt it before.

I remember one night watching the Olympic bobsledding competition on the tube while playing a gig.

But I got to the point where on the nights it was slow or low energy I just started playing for me or trying everything I could to get a reaction from the people in the bar. And sometimes it worked sometimes not.

What Lee said about never knowing who's in the bar is right on too. One night I played a club that was luke warm but I made contact with this pretty woman at the bar and started playing for her. Turns out she owned 3 clubs in town and booked me monthly for 2 of them.....You never know who's in the club.....I've also sat and played for the owner without knowing it. I'd say that's pretty good motivation to put on a good show in it's self.......

• Members

.... Hence the "No TV's in the practice space" rule we have.

FOCUS!

I've found that I'm thinking too much on stage. Always worrying the guitar will fall off, always worried the other band members will miss cues, sometimes worried that someone is too drunk, maybe JUST MAYBE I'm thinking too much. Get some strap locks and relax, dude.

• Members

ya, its me again hehehe... if that happens which it has because alot of people know the party dont get started till midnight, the first thing u want to do is look out and see everyone in there under wear... then the next thing to do is take the songs u just started working on and are a little shakey with and do them a few times before anyone does get there... wa la! time killed, gettin paid to practice, and using very few songs u can do near the last set so's noone really notices (the ones that were there) u already did thiem and you're good to go! also its good to tape every gig to LEARN from not gloat over and u can tell them they will be on the recording receiving huge participation u have to make it happen too.

• Members

we had 2 couples in the place one night and we used it! the recording sounded soooo good and the gtr player knocked over my gibson marauder and the mic picked it up! we practiced the new stuff we were learning and by the time people started pouring in we felt confident to play those songs we knew would be requested because they were new.

• Members

I think it is because you focus more on when there are more people. I can't perform at 100% unless there is pressure. If it is a small room there better be at least 30 people... a small club 60-100...it it is an autitorium 100+. If not or if the room "feels" small then the whole thing goes down because I can't focus without the pressure.:thu:

• Members

I think it is because you focus more on when there are more people. I can't perform at 100% unless there is pressure. If it is a small room there better be at least 30 people... a small club 60-100...it it is an autitorium 100+. If not or if the room "feels" small then the whole thing goes down because I can't focus without the pressure.
:thu:

I think that may be where I'm at. When there are lots of people I can look at their faces and just feel energy.

When it's empty I've found myself watching TV - especially if there's some sort of game on. This isn't something that I want to do. So then I try to focus more, consequently thinking too much, which also isn't good for me to do. The less I think - the better I play.

It's a strange state of awareness. You're aware of what you're playing, thinking a measure or two ahead, but you're not really thinking about it. If we start playing to a crowd I can go right into this mode. Only a few people and I'm back to watching my fingers. Or TV.

But it's all good. I still learn something from every gig. And there are worse things that I could be doing instead.

• Moderators

I have a hard time putting on my "A" game unless there's at least somewhat of a crowd. Does anybody else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? A friend of mine told me that he pretends he's recording for a live album in this situation. It didn't work for me.

Sure, just about every band I've been in has had a dead night now and agian. It's always harder when the venue is bigger- it just makes the place seem even emptier. Generally, though, even in a worst case situation, there a few of our supportive friends, and/or a few attentive other patrons. I focus on them and really try to give them a good performance. There's no reason that they should get a lousy show just because there's a small turnout.

Once I did a show out at an all-ages across-town venue, in a newer band with very little draw. It turned out the venue totally dropped the ball and failed to promote (or even list) the show. AND, we had to play first. As we played out first couple songs there were about two people (standing agianst the back wall) in a room that would have accomodated maybe 400. Oddy enough, I kind of enjoyed it- I just looked at as a chance to have an on-stage practice... and I tried to just focus on the fact that it was enjoyable to just play the songs.

• Members

One thing I would try, if I may suggest.

I've been doing alot of meditation lately and it all has to do with focusing your mind.

You might make up a list of the things that make up a good performance in your mind, and when the mind starts to wander, go to the list. After a while it will become automatic.

Other than that, I'd just relax and have a good time, and do the best you can.

• Members

Everybody has been in this situation:

It's time to start and there's only a few people in the house. You start playing and the lack of an audience makes it hard to concentrate. So your mind starts wandering. Before you know it, you're on autopilot. You try to reign it back in and focus on the people who are there, but it's difficult.

This happened to me Sat. I was having a hard time in the first set. I was having brain farts and thinking about other things. The more I tried to focus, the worse it became.

By the time we started the second set the place started filling up and I had no problems from then on. By the end of the set until closing the place was full and I redeemed myself.

get some new gear.

that always helps me stay focused.

• Members

One thing I would try, if I may suggest.

I've been doing alot of meditation lately and it all has to do with focusing your mind.

You might make up a list of the things that make up a good performance in your mind, and when the mind starts to wander, go to the list. After a while it will become automatic.

Other than that, I'd just relax and have a good time, and do the best you can.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But then that puts me back in the thinking too much area.

What I try to do now is just focus on the drums and bass, forget about what I'm doing, and just practice locking in with the rhythm. And then try to pick out the prettiest woman (hopefully there are one or two) and play to her. Not like a cornball lounge lizard or anything. Just gives me something pleasant to distract me from being bored. Because that's what it basically is - boredom. It's SO much more exciting with at least somewhat of a sizable audience. But like I said - I could be at home watching Cops or something. :) Nah.......

Archived