Band causing problems with girlfriend

TheDoober

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I knew it would happen eventually. My band practiced three days in a row over the weekend and my girlfriend finally confronted me about "not spending enough time with her". She even requested to sit in on a band practice, which I thought I already established wasn't a place for girlfriends and other non-members of the band to be. Third and finally, our drummer is a very skinny, very attractive young woman. My girlfriend is paranoid that the two of us are going to start {censored}ing around especially since i carpool with her to practice.

Anyone else have stories involving girlfriends and advice on my situation?

which was in existence first?

The girlfriend, or the band

There's your answer. She bought you as a package. (that is, if the band existed first).
And if she decides she doesn't like part of this package- she can return you to the store for a refund. :)

• Members

I lost a two year girlfriend because of a band that worked three nights a week and practiced once a week. That was twenty years ago. Two years ago my wife told me I wasn't going to a gig forty five minutes before I was supposed to walk out the door. I told her it wasn't negotiable. I moved out last year and I'm still playing. The band wasn't the only issue. I have never found a woman who is able to handle the time away, the women in the clubs, and the whole head trip of me doing something artistic while the best she can manage is some arts and crafts projects. I would say date female musicians, but the ones I've known are mostly head cases that would make you want to jump off a bridge to get away from them.

:cool:

• Members
I lost a two year girlfriend because of a band that worked three nights a week and practiced once a week. That was twenty years ago. Two years ago my wife told me I wasn't going to a gig forty five minutes before I was supposed to walk out the door. I told her it wasn't negotiable. I moved out last year and I'm still playing. The band wasn't the only issue. I have never found a woman who is able to handle the time away, the women in the clubs, and the whole head trip of me doing something artistic while the best she can manage is some arts and crafts projects. I would say date female musicians, but the ones I've known are mostly head cases that would make you want to jump off a bridge to get away from them.

:cool:

:thu:

ditto the headcase musician girls! however, they are fantastic at first

• Members

We let people stop by our practice space and we still get as much practice done. If someone else outside of the band thinks they have a say we tell them to STFU.

Most people find out real quick that band rehearsal is not as fun to hang out as a gig. People get bored real quick listening to the band playing one section of a song 6 or 7 times.

Max

Yeah, that's how it is with us, too...

- georgestrings

• Members

I'd say dump your current GF and get with your hot drummer. If you a guitarist, it could help your music chemistry!!! ; )

That way you'll been spend time together anyway so their is no chance of a freak out.

I gotta disagree on this one. It's like screwing a chick you work with. It's great fun at the time but when you have to work with each other, sometimes things get kinda wierd. Yeah- both of you say you can be mature about it but when you boil it down, it is hard to get past the fact that you've "been there, done that" and things aren't quite the same as when you used think it'd be great to nail that chick!

A previous poster made sense and it's exactly what I did with my GF. The band was there first and it is part of who I am. If my GF was to ask me to change anything about what I do with my band, then in reality she is trying to change "me", and that {censored} just ain't cool!

Suffice to say, when my GF came onto my scene I had a chat with her about me being in a band and that this would always take precedence as it's what I do. At the same time, I'm happy to make compromise on some of the things she would rather do without me. There's gotta be some give and take.

I've been with my GF now for 6 years and have never had an issue with her over the band. She makes rehearsal nights the nights she goes to see her friends or visit her dad or go to theatre and {censored} that I don't want to do. She can go and watch her mind numbing ckick flics on these nights and come home all revved up by it for me when I get home from having a jam.

• Members

I gotta disagree on this one. It's like screwing a chick you work with. It's great fun at the time but when you have to work with each other, sometimes things get kinda wierd. Yeah- both of you say you can be mature about it but when you boil it down, it is hard to get past the fact that you've "been there, done that" and things aren't quite the same as when you used think it'd be great to nail that chick!

A previous poster made sense and it's exactly what I did with my GF. The band was there first and it is part of who I am. If my GF was to ask me to change anything about what I do with my band, then in reality she is trying to change "me", and that {censored} just ain't cool!

Suffice to say, when my GF came onto my scene I had a chat with her about me being in a band and that this would always take precedence as it's what I do. At the same time, I'm happy to make compromise on some of the things she would rather do without me. There's gotta be some give and take.

I've been with my GF now for 6 years and have never had an issue with her over the band. She makes rehearsal nights the nights she goes to see her friends or visit her dad or go to theatre and {censored} that I don't want to do. She can go and watch her mind numbing ckick flics on these nights and come home all revved up by it for me when I get home from having a jam.

Yup ,, i gotta agree ,, only a true amateur would ever start dating a female band member. Its total trouble. We had a female drummer back in the day. She was one of the guys and a band member. I love her like a sister ,,, but no way would i have ever dated her. rat

• Members
Yup ,, i gotta agree ,, only a true amateur would ever start dating a female band member. Its total trouble. We had a female drummer back in the day. She was one of the guys and a band member. I love her like a sister ,,, but no way would i have ever dated her. rat

Like the old adage warns....

"Never sh*t where you eat"

The SpaceNorman :freak:

• Members

Every time you're in rehearsal, I'm in a bar talking to your girlfriend.

Hopefully you're plying her with drinks too! It's always a nice surprise coming home from rehearsal and finding the SO has started the party on somebody else's dime!! There's always a good laugh to be had at the cliche pick-up lines that come with the free drinks too!

• Members

A friend once told me this:

Full time job, full time band, full time girlfriend - pick 2 out of 3.

I've found this to be pretty true, unfortunately....

Just wanted to quote this again for anyone coming into the thread late and not reading the replies. "Full time" means you're usually working at it for eight hours, right? Full time band + Full time job + Full time girl = 24 hours... hope you weren't planning on sleeping!

I work 28 hours a week, play gigs 2-4 nights a week, and have a girlfriend I see on the weekends. You'll notice none of those things are "full time". Works out well. ;)

Archived