band's other guitarist....

Stazinish

• Members

So the other guitarist in my band sucks. I hate to say it like that, but he does... Every song I suggest we play or any riff I come up with; too hard. He doesn't practice and is amazed at why I can actually play the guitar. I just tell him that I practice. I've been playing for about 3 years and he has been playing for 6. Got any advice? He could be good if he would just get his head out of his ass and practice.

• Members

Yeah, definitely "shape up or ship out". And to be honest, guitar's not the hard of instruments to get competent on, so he is probably just inherently lazy or unmusical if he isn't any good after 6 years. And it also begs the question, if he doesn't like music/playing enough to practice, should you have him at all?

• Members

So the other guitarist in my band sucks. I hate to say it like that, but he does... Every song I suggest we play or any riff I come up with; too hard. He doesn't practice and is amazed at why I can actually play the guitar. I just tell him that I practice. I've been playing for about 3 years and he has been playing for 6. Got any advice? He could be good if he would just get his head out of his ass and practice.

We know how *you* feel about it...the question is though, how do the *others* feel about it? Because it's "his band" shouldn't mean anything...I know a guy that can't sing...he's always starting bands, but they never get anywhere for some reason. Often the guys he brings in to play with him end up in *other* bands together...isn't that strange?

• Members

Maybe he needs to only sing. If your music needs 2 guitars..bring in another one. Don't tell him he sucks..tell him it would free him up for his stage show if he only was singing. I'm assuming you are happy with his vocal ability.

Archived