band's cd cover

cromulent

• Members

demo's almost done and we're looking for a cool album cover so we can shop it around town. For those who done this, do you make your own either photographed or drawn by an artist, or just take cool looking pics from the internet and just stick your band name on top?

We would like to do it ourselves, but other than playing instruments, we don't have an artistic bone in our bodies. I can barely draw a stick figure. Maybe hire an artist to do it for us? :confused:

• Members

Photoshop is your friend.

Don't take pics off the internet unless you want to be sued for copyright infringement.

Just have someone with a decent digital camera take your pictures and then experiment with the different effects in Photoshop. If you don't have phtoshop, find someone who does and have them 'loan' you a copy by copying it onto a flash drive.

• Members

demo's almost done and we're looking for a cool album cover so we can shop it around town. For those who done this, do you make your own either photographed or drawn by an artist, or just take cool looking pics from the internet and just stick your band name on top?

We would like to do it ourselves, but other than playing instruments, we don't have an artistic bone in our bodies. I can barely draw a stick figure. Maybe hire an artist to do it for us?
:confused:

go to a local high school for the arts or a college art department and put up some flyers ... perhaps talk to a teacher/professor about getting some involvement for exposure. :D

• Members

You can always search for royalty-free stock photo sites. Each site is different in terms of what they require, whether it be simple notification of how you intend to use the image, permission from the artist/photographer to use their work, or payment. There is a wealth of great artwork available out there for very little money or none at all, if you just ask. Many people are very happy to see their work being put to good use, so long as they get some sort of acknowledgement.

• Members

Just have someone with a decent digital camera take your pictures and then experiment with the different effects in Photoshop.

Oh dear.

'experiment with effects'

*sigh*

Get a photographer and a graphic designer, or get a cool photo off iStockphoto or something.

Remember if you're getting a friend to take your photo, its got to be at least 1417x1417 pixels for a CD cover/booklet. For the back and tray that's 1772x1417.

• Members

I'd definitely get something custom. Get a photographer friend out to a cool location to snap some photos and then put your logo over something original instead of something generic.

+1 to going to local college art departments! Most college students would welcome a cool project like that, as they'll have something to put into their portfolio that shows some diversity!

• Members

Oh dear.

'experiment with effects'

*sigh*

Get a photographer and a graphic designer, or get a cool photo off iStockphoto or something.

Remember if you're getting a friend to take your photo, its got to be at least 1417x1417 pixels for a CD cover/booklet. For the back and tray that's 1772x1417.

I've done 4 cd covers of my own and 2 for other people, including booklet, 2 sided tray card, disc, etc. They were good enough to be picked up by a hard copy distributor and reviewed by national magazines.

And you?

But hey, don't listen to me. I don't know anything.

• Members

I've done 4 cd covers of my own and 2 for other people, including booklet, 2 sided tray card, disc, etc. They were good enough to be picked up by a hard copy distributor and reviewed by national magazines.

And you?

But hey, don't listen to me. I don't know anything.

I'm just saying don't play around with filters on photoshop because it generally looks {censored}.

• Members

I'm just saying don't play around with filters on photoshop because it generally looks {censored}.

Not if you know what you're doing. It's easy to figure it out if you play with it for awhile.

The graphic studio where I had my films made for my first CD artwork use photoshop filters all the time.

Archived