Ton Petty

MartinC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My own personal opinion is that "Wildflowers" is one of Tom Petty's best ever albums. I like the stripped down arrangements.

I like em too. I definitely think it's a really well arranged and produced album, as opposed to say... Full Moon Fever. :lol:

I just have a hard time NOT picturing in my head what those songs would've sounded like with Lynch (especially considering he played on about half of it and his parts subsequently replaced). Like I said, I saw that lineup a zillion times and I think their first 5 albums were the best, because they really showcased a great band all arranging and playing together. The arrangements are quite stripped down on most of that stuff, too - I nearly always do favor a more organic approach.

You can only do that when the songs are good and "To Be A King" is a class song.

Yep. Well Petty's never been short of a good song, that's for sure.

• Members
I like em too. I definitely think it's a really well arranged and produced album, as opposed to say... Full Moon Fever.

Well, I didn't think it would be too long before we got to the Jeff Lynne bashing. As evidenced by his productions of Harrison, Petty, Orbison, and the Wilburys albums, Lynne definitely has his own style that's based in more of a Beatles-type studio-layered approach than, say, a Stones-type live-in-the-studio feel. These are two different approaches to recording that yield different results.

Would the Beatles have sounded better playing material like "Strawberry Fields" or "A Day In The Life" as a live quartet in the studio? There is no one-style-fits-all approach to production; it should always boil down to what approach best serves the song.

The final point I'll make here is that Stan Lynch, brilliant as he was, was also quite the mercurial personality. "Explosive," as Tom Petty said in "Conversations With..." Stan didn't like the material on Wildflowers, and his heart certainly wasn't in making that record or performing with the Heartbreakers anymore. Given that, how could his performances on Wildflowers --as the drummer-- have been better that Ferrone's?

I've got a similar situation happening right now in my band. My keyboard player is brilliant... at times. Other times he's bored, he complains about everything, he surrounds himself with lots of drama, and he's mentioned to other band members that he doesn't like the material we're playing. To top it off, he and I have had a friendship for over 20 years and I really love the guy. I plan on having a big Come-to-Jesus meeting with him after tonight's gig to see where he's really at. I just know his heart isn't in what he's doing with me anymore, and perhaps he needs to acknowledge that and move on. I'm sure going to miss his brilliance and depth of knowledge of music, however. :cry:

• Members

Would the Beatles have sounded better playing material like "Strawberry Fields" or "A Day In The Life" as a live quartet in the studio? There is no one-style-fits-all approach to production; it should always boil down to what approach best serves the song.

Of course, and I've got no problem with that, if only that were true in this case. My whole take on Jeff Lynne is that HE, in fact, uses the same one-style-fits-all approach to every song and every artist he produces. His style worked fine for ELO. It doesn't work when everybody he produces sounds like ELO with a different singer.

I thought he was great for George Harrison's record Cloud Nine because George wanted to do a somewhat tongue in cheek, over the top Beatles reference. That was perfect. Not so perfect for Tom Petty or Dave Edmunds or a lot of other people he produced during that period who have that exact same sound.

The final point I'll make here is that Stan Lynch, brilliant as he was, was also quite the mercurial personality.

Yeah, yeah. But of course Petty's own "mercurial" personality isn't mentioned, because all the conflicts generally are described (in the media) from his point of view.

I'd say both of those guys are a piece of work, in a lot of ways, but they dealt with each other's crap anyway for 20 years. And probably would've continued doing so indefinitely if it weren't for the fact that Stan just wasn't digging the music Petty was wanting to do after a certain point. :idk:

Stan didn't like the material on Wildflowers, and his heart certainly wasn't in making that record or performing with the Heartbreakers anymore. Given that, how could his performances on Wildflowers --as the drummer-- have been better that Ferrone's?

He plays pretty well when he's pissed off. ;) He came up with some great parts, "Honey Bee" especially. Go figure.

I've got a similar situation happening right now in my band. My keyboard player is brilliant... at times. Other times he's bored, he complains about everything, he surrounds himself with lots of drama, and he's mentioned to other band members that he doesn't like the material we're playing. To top it off, he and I have had a friendship for over 20 years and I really love the guy. I plan on having a big Come-to-Jesus meeting with him after tonight's gig to see where he's really at. I just know his heart isn't in what he's doing with me anymore, and perhaps he needs to acknowledge that and move on. I'm sure going to miss his brilliance and depth of knowledge of music, however.
:cry:

That's a shame. :( I hope it works out for you one way or another... maybe he just needs a break, to clear his head a little.

• Members

Lee is carrying a major torch for Stan Lynch as a drummer which is cool. I think I know Stan Lynch through two people, a guy I know was friends with all the 'crutch guys in Fla.

Lee is also dead-on correct regarding Jeff Lynne's production. The first Traveling Wilburys record would be an all-time classic if it weren't for how. . .Jeff Lynne it sounds.

Of course the elephant in the room when it comes to TP production is Dave Stewart on Southern Accents. That is a monster record with some all-time classic songs (including my fave, DCAHNM) but the production is remarkably dated.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
Dude named Scott Thurston. He's been a "utility player" with the Heartbreakers for years now, he's an old buddy of theirs. He plays guitar, keyboards, sings harmonies. Nice guy.

Oh hell yes... has been since 1994. They haven't been nearly as good since then.
:(

LOL..Says who?

Archived