DIY Stage Banners?

elbow

• Members

We're needing a new stage banner and looking at options. We can obviously get the slick vinyl one, or whatever it's made of, but I don't like the glare it sometimes produces (besides having a banner that looks like everyone else's) and I think you can sometimes get a better product by going DIY..... maybe :p

Any ideas? Thoughts? Experiences? What should we stay away from?

• Members

Going precisely against what you say, when it came time to re-vamp our tired banner, we found that the advances made in vinyl screening are simply wonderful.

They can apply a matte finish to your banner, which they say will pretty much kill stage glare. Seems they've (the industry) has been getting complaints.

• Members

We're needing a new stage banner and looking at options. We can obviously get the slick vinyl one, or whatever it's made of, but I don't like the glare it sometimes produces (besides having a banner that looks like everyone else's) and I think you can sometimes get a better product by going DIY..... maybe
:p

Any ideas? Thoughts? Experiences? What should we stay away from?

It wouldn't necessarily look like everyone else's if you had it made on vinyl. You can design it yourself - with fonts and images. I've had a few made at professional sign printing places. The vinyl ones are tough and can take a lot of abuse.

And the matte finish is probably a good one if you don't want it to look "slick".

If you DIY, you run the risk of looking unprofessional... if that matters to you. ...Unless you or a friend of yours is really good at making that kind of thing.

• Members

if you got the tools:

buy a painter's tarp (canvas material) and cut it down to size

paint it with airbrush for background color

using masks, paint on signage with airbrush (get good clean lines)

You could probably use painters tape and newspaper to layout the signage text, and spray-paint the lettering.

just remember to spray wet on dry. Do not blast paint over wet paint or it will seep and all sorts of yucky wreckage.

• Members

I agree no DIY when it comes to banners. You can differentiate yourselves in the design but still keep the professional look of a vinyl banner.

:thu:

:thu:

Heck yeah...

Look at it this way ...

If you've got the design talent, and the equipment and raw materials necessary to make it look professional, then you probably can DIY.

If not, by the time you've endured all the brain damage and expense to make it look halfway professional, it's probably less taxing and less expensive to turn it over to a pro.

• Members

I make vinyl banners at work and still hired out to make ours in my last band. Not worth the trouble of doing it myself for what a lot of places will do it for, and I didn't want to chance something that looked unprofessional.

In my current band we use something that looks unprofessional but seems to work well. A tough combination to run across and we get a lot of compliments on it, for whatever reason.

Archived