Pain when growling

::fred::

• Members

We can't find a proper vocalist in our area, so I decided that I should step up to the mic and try to growl. For a while I was doing it wrong, making souns with my throat, not my stomach and not really getting anywhere. Then a friend of mine who sings in a local metalcore band explained me the technique. He made me hold my hand in front of my mouth and he said I should feel the air stream pouring out when I growl. I managed to do that, but minutes after along came burning pain in my chest and my heart ached. I quit for a while and then started practicing again at home. The pain was there. My friend can't really say anything about it - he doesn't seem to experience any of it.

What am I doing wrong?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

if it hurts when growling just chill out how much youre pushing it. with the music blaring you feel like you have to be loud, but less pushed growls sound just as good through a mic when you have a whole band around you
:thu:

Depends on where you're pushing from.

The reason the throat will start to hurt is because you're squeezing your throat so hard while pushing with your stomach.

Very little pressure is needed in the throat to get that growl sound, (doesn't matter if you're talkin' James Hetfield growl, Pantera growl, Lamb of God growl, Cannibal Corpse growl....).

That's why it's necessary to warm up first and get your throat nice and relaxed. The balls of the growl come from your gut and air flow.

So if it hurts, push more from your stomach and ease off your throat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Then a friend of mine who sings in a local metalcore band explained me the technique. He made me hold my hand in front of my mouth and he said I should feel the air stream pouring out when I growl.

:confused: I'm sorry, but don't you feel a steam of air pouring out when you speak, sing, or growl? You know, cuz you need air to carry whichever type of tone / sound you're making? What your friend said explains very close to nothing. :confused:

• Members

:confused:
I'm sorry, but don't you feel a steam of air pouring out when you speak, sing, or growl? You know, cuz you need air to carry whichever type of tone / sound you're making? What your friend said explains very close to nothing.
:confused:

when I speak - no (or at least very little!)

when I sing - a little

when I growl - I suppose I should have a huge stream coming out (according to my friend), like when you deliberately breathing out.. hooooooooooooo like this :p

Archived