A thoughtful question

Kramerguy

• Members

If someone came to me with a code of conduct contract,,, i would have two things to say. Fine , how much is my yearly salary ... and if there wasnt one ,, i would just say go find yourself another keyboard player.

If somebody plopped a "Code of Conduct" Contract in front of me - I'd do the same thing.

However, if I were coming into something new and was told - we really hate "band drama" and have taken the time to document some of the stuff that's important to us - I'd be impressed by their organization. Having read enough posts here on the forum it's pretty easy to see that petty bickering over or personal offence taken in issues that seem like little {censored} in the big scheme of things that ultimately break up countless bands.

A group that has given this stuff a little forethought and taken steps to try to steer clear of troubles stemming from the little stuff is exactly the kind of act I want to be involved with.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If somebody plopped a "Code of Conduct" Contract in front of me - I'd do the same thing.

However, if I were coming into something new and was told - we really hate "band drama" and have taken the time to document some of the stuff that's important to us - I'd be impressed by their organization. Having read enough posts here on the forum it's pretty easy to see that petty bickering over or personal offence taken in issues that seem like little {censored} in the big scheme of things that ultimately break up countless bands.

A group that has given this stuff a little forethought and taken steps to try to steer clear of troubles stemming from the little stuff is exactly the kind of act I want to be involved with.

true ,, but i have found that drama queens will tell you what you want to hear than do what they are going to do.

Typically in a few sessions you get a pretty good read on who is in the band. If I see a major problem either with music issues or booze and drugs, I just bail. If guys smoke or drink its not an issue ,, if its what practice is about ,, i am gone sooner or later

• Members

true ,, but i have found that drama queens will tell you what you want to hear than do what they are going to do.

Typically in a few sessions you get a pretty good read on who is in the band. If I see a major problem either with music issues or booze and drugs, I just bail. If guys smoke or drink its not an issue ,, if its what practice is about ,, i am gone sooner or later

Agreed - actions are always more important than words. But when there's little or not track record of actions to evaluate - I'm far more willing to through my hat in with a group that has obviously given thought to the "big picture" and obviously making an attempt to manage it - even if those thoughts and attempts are evidenced by words only.

• Members

I tend to agree with Janx's observation that the code is usually common sense stuff that most folks don't need to have written down - and that those that would need it written down are likely to ignore anyway. It ain't gonna be a rule book!

It's that way with most laws and human nature: folks predisposed to obedience to sensible rules of conduct for the common good see the law as confirmation of their instincts. Those who have a problem with authority or getting along with others see the law as a challenge.

• Members

A
real
leader will lead when leadership is needed - regardless of the group's organizational structure. Leadership in a small, all voluntary organization such as a band must
emerge
and
be recognized
by the members of the group if it is to be effective. It cannot simply be appointed - volunteers will not follow an appointed leader if that appointed leader can't garner the trust and respect of the other members.

In the scenario you outlined - a decision was made and a single bandmate felt empowered to trump it when they didn't like it.

This isn't a structural issue - it's a lack of leadership issue. It
can't
be solved by "picking" a leader.

I agree and the failed leadership was my own. I emerged as the leader and was asked by my band to do so for various reasons. My failure was in thinking that I should let this particular, relatively mundane issue be debated for much too long. Once a decision was made, I should have made sure that the issue was done and we move on.

My original point only being, having input, which many consider synonymous with democracy does not mean you can't have a leader.

Archived