Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys

Miss You - Rolling Stones

Brick House - Rob Zombie cover version

Cobrastyle - Teddy Bears

If you are from the southeast, try:

Disco dis Way, Disco dat Way - Mothers Finest

-always a crowd pleaser in Charlotte.

• Members

You don't have to do it with shredding do it your way.

Epic - Faith No More

What I Got - Sublime ( We do a version where we do all kinds of wrap songs in the middle of it. Gin and Juice, the Vanilla Ice song, Lotti dotti we like to party we don't cause trouble we don't botha nobody by Slick Rick, Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys, Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz to name a few)

Hell any one of them except the Vanilla Ice Goes over good. Or just ask the rap guys if they want or can freestyle over some songs with a good beat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sexy Mother F***er by Prince.

Beat me to it. Yes. That song is a must for the gig the OP's describing -- it's got rapping, it's funky as hey-yell, and at the end of it they can get the whole audience chanting "Sexy mother{censored}er shakin' that ass, shakin' that ass shakin' that ass!" as they pull a couple of girls up onto the stage to demonstrate.

• Members

Get Up Stand Up

No, go back to the original version of that song: "Slippin' Into Darkness" by War.

Edit: Just thought of another. "Left and Right" by D'Angelo, off Voodoo. Depends on the crowd, though -- the song features some pretty dirty raps by Method Man & Redman, {censored} that might turn off some of your more feminist audience members. But the groove is so loose.

• Members

{censored} Control is a good one, too, depending on your audience--same with Get off. I guess if you're doing a show with rappers, your audience can handle the content.
:D

:love:

Everytime I think Prince can not get any cooler I get surprised again...I just heard this song for the first time a few months ago while out with some friends and was blown away.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks for all the ideas guys/gals. I was toying around with trying Thriller cause of the Halloween thing, but once I saw the amount of lyrics and chords in the song I'm like we don't got the time for that. Even though its totally doable, and I know we could swing it.

Right now its looking like

Red Hot Mama - Funkadelic w/ the rap from {censored} Control over one of the breaks.

Mama Said Knock You Out.

Give it to me - J. Geils w/ a Red Hot Chili Peppers rap over the funky part at the end.

Sabotage - Beastie Boys

Sex Machine w/ a rap in the middle somewhere

Where its at.

and possibly Mary Jane by Rick James.

This has been an incredibly pleasurable experience working with these cats. I was skeptical. This kinda stuff in my experience never goes well. We all get in our little atmospheres, and its hard to work with another team that has their own rules. But this has been working out well. They essentially have a singer who is great and soulful, a killer rapper, and a flavor flav type guy. They have been very flexible and seem to have no problem gelling with the band. I was fearful that they would be too rigid, because they are used to singing/rapping to pre recorded music. But this is actually working and I can't wait for Halloween.

• Members

Sexy Mother F***er by Prince.

Yeah that was definitely one of the candidates. Though we are sincerely working to keep this short sweet and simple. I really wanted to do a Prince tune but they are not very quick studies unfortunately. Its kinda like Thriller even though theres nothing overly difficult in it, it requires more time to nail all the stuff. And right now being the first time attempting anything like this, I think we're better off keeping it short and sweet.

• Members

we do kiss by prince - it goes over great and is fun to play. Rappers delight is also fun plus you can segway into another one bites the dust. If you really want to get them dancing Hot in Herre is always a weiner - and once I came to terms with the fact I was actually playing it - it's really pretty fun to play.

Archived