When to quit band

• Members

I've never understood why people will shoot down a song before it's been played live. Talk to your band, diplomatically, and see if you can get them to see the light. I would bet that a lot of the songs they THINK will work in front of a crowd, won't, and vice versa.

What is your goal in picking songs? Are they songs that YOU like to hear, or are you keeping the audience in mind? Something to think about....

And....a wedding band set won't fly too far in a club scene, and vice versa.

Your band should have IMO 2 different setlists - one for club work and one for wedding band work.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going - don't quit, not many can get to this point and you may find it tough or even impossible to be at this level in the future. :wave:

• Members
Thanks for the input.

I joined/formed it with who is now the "band manager". I have quit once already. They asked me back about a year ago. Songs we play have come from everyone. Except me and maybe the drummer. Money was great last year. I could stomach the songs because we had a few rockin ones in there. But, we're also playing a Michael Jackson medley and a Prince medley. :puke:

This year, it's all changing. The pay has been less(not surprising). We have not rehearsed once so far this year but have had THREE band meetings and have ANOTHER one scheduled. The rockin songs are out, we are sticking to one set list, same order, same songs. We are planning on right now, 3 new songs that our singer chose. At the meeting it was decided we were spending $3000 on lights and smoke and pyro (not a light show, just misc) and it was coming out of our pay and I was the only one who objected and was brushed aside. I even said at this meeting that, without the rockin songs and all of this pop and medley stuff, why am I here? I'm rock guitarist who like to play rock songs.

Their idea is - people do not hear with their ears, they "hear" with their eyes and they want a big show. I was fine the way things were. We made good money, and now the money will be less because we'll be paying off all of this extra gear. Keeping things as they were is NOT AN OPTION for whatever reason. Their side of it is, we will potentially make MORE because of this extra stuff. But who really knows. In this economy I think it's foolish but I'm conservative with money. I will always say no to spending.

They may very well be right in the end. Me making it to the end to witness it is something else.

I hate to say this, but it sounds like you're no longer a "good fit" for this band. Which sucks since it was your band to begin with. But hey, you started this band... go start another one! :thu:

Archived