Singer Wannabe Needs Advice

CleveRocks

• Members

I'm still figuring some things out and improving, but here is a "snapshot" of where I am right now.

www.bandmix.com/tom211

(there are some samples there with my vocals over backing tracks; they are home-made not studio quality)

All I would like to do is get with a band that at least has a chance of playing a gig in the next year (not necessarily one that is already playing out).

Should I take a shot at this point posting an ad saying I'm a singer looking for a band (maybe with sending one or all of these recordings as samples), or is that getting ahead of the game? Do I need to make the demos better? If you heard these, and needed a singer, would you be interested in talking to me at all?

Also if you have specific feedback on the samples, that would be great. If there are major pitch or tone problems, I definitely need to know that (before I sabotage my chances of ever getting with a band)!

THANKS

• Members

The three demos sound good. I've heard lead singers in bar bands sound much worse. Definitely keep improving, because vocals many times make the song. If I was in a non-gigging band looking for a lead vocalist, I would definitely consider you. You might be a little weak, however, for a gigging band with an established following.

• Members

Smartest thing to do is join a band. Any band. Before you become a singer in a good band you need to learn the intricacies of being a musician in general. Go to craigslist and find a project with which you can live. I'd also re-record the songs turning your vocal down somewhat and watch your pitch when you go into the higher register.

• Members

check that - re-record the second song top to bottom. You're pretty much nailing it until the end and not everyone will understand that you probably recorded these as 1-off demos. In other words, if a singer sends me something my assumption is that he/she things it sounds good from a standpoint of cadence and pitch. I know the quality might not be great but I expect that person to think that they are in tune. I also assume that 5-10-100 tracks were recorded and I don't think I am alone in that assumption.

Bottom line: you CAN sing but you need to record several takes on these songs until you get one that sounds really solid. Take a day if you have to but this will EASILY improve your chances of getting a better gig.

• Members

I play in a cover band that plays a mix of mostly newer rock with a few classics thrown in. The three songs you have out there don't make you marketable as a cover band singer. I would think regardless of how you sound, a lot of bands would pass just because of those songs. Clubs and bars don't want slow, dirgy kind of music like that.

If you want to get in a band, I'd recommend getting some decent backing tracks of more uptempo, commercially viable stuff and take some time recording them well. Your singing on those tracks is okay, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Take the time to get it right.

Also, no cover band musicians that I know would spend a year getting to the point of playing out. If that's your goal, you should plan on a much more aggressive timetable than that.

Good luck.

Archived