craigslist-it's a love hate thing

MartinC

• Members

I hate it because it's done a lot to devalue playing out. Every freakin day there are posts offering 50.00 an hour to play a wedding-people telling you what they are going to pay for a service they know nothing about. Cafes offering a gig in exchange for a bit of food and a cup of coffee. Bands looking for someone to share a bill if they can but bring 30 people on a Tuesday night. Do a private party for 75? ETC, ETC, ETC,

Then there are the pleas from musicians that post all the time-hire me, hire me, hire me, as if people reading the musicians list are looking to hire-they are musicians you fool. Classical guitarists who are first year students. Flamenco guitarists who know zero flamenco. Solo "artists" who can't write, sing, or play. All on display and consideration for a public that can't seem to evaluate the level of these aspiring performers but sure like the price. An agent would throw their demo in the trash and a club that used to pay decent would have shown them the door. But there they are on the computer, contending for work that used to go to dedicated and experienced players.

When my agent tries to lowball me and tells me the client is looking to pay X, I tell him to tell them to put an ad on craigs and maybe they can get someone for free. What cheap home recording and napster has done to the market for recordings, craig has done for live players.

So, why do I love it? A left handed strat for 200.00, a left handed 335 copy for 210., a brand new 900. surfboard for 500.00 and a couple days ago, an 800. board for 380.00

I'm freakin STOKED. Practice the guitar? Screw that, I'm going surfin!!!

• Members

At the moment - I'm loving Craigslist. This past month I answered an ad for an audition, met what appear to be a group of decent players and normal folks - landed the gig, and added close to a dozen gigs to my calendar over the next three months.

This past month I also placed an ad for a vocalist. I braced myself for what I thought was going to be an inevitable throng of kids and karaoke queens. I was more than a little surprised when I received several responses from real pros - each of which included some sort of appropriate "head shot" promo pics and either attached audio/video clips - or links to web sites with audio/video - that provided something to look at.

I couldn't be more tickled with my recent Craigslist experiences - both as a musician looking a gig and a gig looking for musicians.

• Members

I hate it because it's done a lot to devalue playing out. Every freakin day there are posts offering 50.00 an hour to play a wedding-people telling you what they are going to pay for a service they know nothing about. Cafes offering a gig in exchange for a bit of food and a cup of coffee. Bands looking for someone to share a bill if they can but bring 30 people on a Tuesday night. Do a private party for 75? ETC, ETC, ETC,

Then there are the pleas from musicians that post all the time-hire me, hire me, hire me, as if people reading the musicians list are looking to hire-they are musicians you fool. Classical guitarists who are first year students. Flamenco guitarists who know zero flamenco. Solo "artists" who can't write, sing, or play. All on display and consideration for a public that can't seem to evaluate the level of these aspiring performers but sure like the price. An agent would throw their demo in the trash and a club that used to pay decent would have shown them the door. But there they are on the computer, contending for work that used to go to dedicated and experienced players.

When my agent tries to lowball me and tells me the client is looking to pay X, I tell him to tell them to put an ad on craigs and maybe they can get someone for free. What cheap home recording and napster has done to the market for recordings, craig has done for live players.

So, why do I love it? A left handed strat for 200.00, a left handed 335 copy for 210., a brand new 900. surfboard for 500.00 and a couple days ago, an 800. board for 380.00

I'm freakin STOKED. Practice the guitar? Screw that, I'm going surfin!!!

craigslist in Stl is more like left handed used beater strat $1500 or trade for your 10 top PRS

or POS crap knockoff guitar 2grand...

its nothing but crap or overpriced

• Members

CL musician pages is a joke here. It's turned into nothing but band spam, venue spam, ads for countless free jams and open mics, and flaming, as it's turned into a bit of a forum. Once in awhile there are actually guys looking to play, but they're the minority.

See then sad state of affairs for yourself here:

• Members

CL musician pages is a joke here. It's turned into nothing but band spam, venue spam, ads for countless free jams and open mics, and flaming, as it's turned into a bit of a forum. Once in awhile there are actually guys looking to play, but they're the minority.

I just went to the Spokane/coeur d'alene craigslist /musicians site and laughed my ass off.:lol: Tell me blue strat you are not the bendover guy are you?

• Members

The CL here seems to sometimes be 80% "Recording studio available"(they use ProTools!), 10% "band starting, need bass, drums, vocals, and keys", 5% flaming about nonsense things, and 5% musician available/wanted.

• Members

I just went to the Spokane/coeur d'alene craigslist /musicians site and laughed my ass off.
:lol:
Tell me blue strat you are not the bendover guy are you?

I've never posted there, but it's a never ending source of entertainment.

Arguing about who's the best band in Spokane is like arguing about bowling. No matter who is best, it still doesn't matter.

• Members

ours is the same way, mostly guitarists bickering about which one is a better shredder. It's calmed down the last few days, people got sick of it and started flagging anything that resembles a discussion

• Members

I've had good luck with the couple of positive responses I've gotten.

The rest are flakes and don't respond or make strange demands like "don't ask me stuff (for song links, genre, etc.) about my band, just come and play with us."

One clue as to the wording of the response: if its well written, grammatically correct, spelled right, etc. - then I've had great luck. ifits riten badly then it usualy gos nowere.

• Members

ours is the same way, mostly guitarists bickering about which one is a better shredder. It's calmed down the last few days, people got sick of it and started flagging anything that resembles a discussion

Ours used to have the discussion flaggers. I hated them. They'd flag things like musicians talking about going rates for gigs in the area and what venues had management that wouldn't dick them around, etc.

They seem to have gone away as of late, maybe they're gainfully employed now or something, who knows.

Archived