Anyone got a stock e-mail I could send to venues looking for bands?

sickman

• Members

A few venues in the area are looking for bands and have placed ads online to send them an e-mail. I'm thinking something like this...

Name,

I am my _name_ and play with the _band name_. We have developed quite a following in the _area bar is located_. I would like to discuss the opportunity of booking our band at your venue.

Regards,

Axl Rose

• Members

We are a cover band. I would include a link to the myspace.... it has a rough demo.

That brings up another issue. The guy who set up the myspace kind of set it and left it. IMO, someone needs to spend some time updating the pictures, adding a song list, making more contacts, etc, etc. Basically make it look like the band is a happening thing. If I could gain access to it I could get friends to say write replys like "awesome job at so-so. Can't wait to come out and see you guys again." I think he's only got like 8 friends??

I guess I could also set up another page and just take it over.

• Members

I'd be really surprised if you get a gig with an email. I don't know of any bar manager that would reply to that. You need to be much more aggressive. Find out when the manager's there and stop by with your promo kit. Call every few days to follow up. When we were getting started, my singer and take my guitar and spend the day going to clubs doing impromptu auditions for anybody that would listen.

• Members

We are a cover band. I would include a link to the myspace.... it has a rough demo.

That brings up another issue. The guy who set up the myspace kind of set it and left it. IMO, someone needs to spend some time updating the pictures, adding a song list, making more contacts, etc, etc. Basically make it look like the band is a happening thing. If I could gain access to it I could get friends to say write replys like "awesome job at so-so. Can't wait to come out and see you guys again." I think he's only got like 8 friends??

I guess I could also set up another page and just take it over.

Myspace is good for getting the word out to your friends and fans. It's or marginal value for convincing clubs to hire you.

• Members

Best you can do is probably a Wednesday night trial show where you play for the door. You convince your friends, co-workers, co-worker's friends, co-worker's friend's friends, strangers and anybody else available on a Wednesday night to come out and hear you. You make $100 and the bar has a crowded Wednesday night where they clear thousands on beer sales midweek. Then, either you get asked back for a nominal first timers pay and nobody shows up and your gone or you still don't get asked back but the bar makes money because of your email.

• Members

I'd be really surprised if you get a gig with an email. I don't know of any bar manager that would reply to that. You need to be much more aggressive. Find out when the manager's there and stop by with your promo kit. Call every few days to follow up. When we were getting started, my singer and take my guitar and spend the day going to clubs doing impromptu auditions for anybody that would listen.

The OP was replying to an ad looking for musicians. I've landed numerous gigs this way, though he does need to be more specific.

He needs to be more specific. . .mention where you saw the ad, what kind of music, where else you've played, etc

I do agree that you would not get a gig if it was an unsolicited email.

• Members

Myspace is good for getting the word out to your friends and fans. It's or marginal value for convincing clubs to hire you.

That hasn't been our experience. A lot of club bookers prefer to go through bands' Myspace pages. That way they can listen to a lot of submissions at once without leaving the site, and they can't lose your promo kit, etc. :lol:

• Members

This was my experience as well. I haven't gigged in 5-6 years and I know things have changed but all the bands I was in that played bars always talked to the owner or whoever was in charge in person.

• Members

That hasn't been our experience. A lot of club bookers prefer to go through bands' Myspace pages. That way they can listen to a lot of submissions at once without leaving the site, and they can't lose your promo kit, etc.
:lol:

We've had clubs look at our myspace page, but as far as I know, at least around here, they're not going to go perusing myspace looking for bands.

Archived