Being accepted for being you!

tim_7string

• Members

What an unforgettable night!

My band had its last gig on Friday. I was looking forward to playing that particular place, because after my girlfriend and I met the bar owners, they seemed really cool. I was nervous and wondered if the crowd would like us. After our previous gig three months before (which resulted in a "we won't be hiring you again" dismissal), I wasn't sure what to expect.

It went way better than expected. :eek:

Not only were we paid a good amount of money, but we were treated with respect, met some people that were really cool, told by the bar owners we will definitely be back again...and the best part?

They loved our songlist! :thu:

We kind of go all over the place. We have some classics from the 60s and 70s, some nuggets, a few modern tunes and a couple of odd choices. Basically, we have punk rock mixed in with heavy metal mixed in with 80s hits and so on and so forth. Something for everyone!

Overall, I'm used to places where if you aren't playing the same old crap everyone else is, you are shunned and rejected. So, you either play the moldy tried and true hits or you watch people leave the bar to go see another band.

Anyway, it was a very unusual feeling. I'm used to being abused in some fashion over the years in bands. If the band doesn't play some familiar hits, the crowds usually get restless. If we try to joke around and have fun, people aren't having it. We'll play some good songs, then switch it up, then lose the crowd the rest of the night. That kind of {censored}. Nope, none of that happened here.

Anyone else have unexpected kindness, goodwill and overall great vibes from one place?

• Members

Anyway, it was a very unusual feeling. I'm used to being abused in some fashion over the years in bands. If the band doesn't play some familiar hits, the crowds usually get restless. If we try to joke around and have fun, people aren't having it. We'll play some good songs, then switch it up, then lose the crowd the rest of the night. That kind of {censored}. Nope, none of that happened here.

Anyone else have unexpected kindness, goodwill and overall great vibes from one place?

Yeah.

We played a country club for Ky Oaks night, and it was off the freaking chain.

The "headline" band playing the main hall packed it in and left at 12:30 and we were rocking the patio till 2:00 AM to about 350 people: it was assholes, elbows and drunk cougars everywhere.

We got an extra 100 bucks to play another half hour: we actually didn't finish out until after 2:30.

At a couple of points, I swiveled my mic out to the audience and had "guest vocalists" singing backup - Tim went out into the crowd and was gettin crazy...totally off the hook.

• Members

it's a great feeling when you play a room and it just 'clicks'. My band is similar to yours, in that we also play a pretty wide variety of genres.

Sometimes that's a negative because some rooms seem conservative and just want the same-old-same-old, but other places are slightly hipper and embrace some diversity.

To give you an idea of how far we swing, in any given set we will play country (Garth Brooks), classic rock (Cheap Trick), modern rock (Maroon 5), pop/R&B (Riahana), rap (Snoop Dogg), hair metal (Bon Jovi).

Funny thing is, the average bar audience doesn't give a {censored} about what genre a song is from, they just want to hear good songs performed well.

anyway, congrates on picking up a new room. Those regular bookings are our bread and butter and sure make it easier to fill in the calendar.

• Members

To give you an idea of how far we swing, in any given set we will play country (Garth Brooks), classic rock (Cheap Trick), modern rock (Maroon 5), pop/R&B (Riahana), rap (Snoop Dogg), hair metal (Bon Jovi).

it is a great feeling when the crowd like you and the bar manager is just as into you as they are!

BTW we do a wide rage too... From Drowning Pool to Disco Inferno!

Archived