The In-Ear Monitor Thread

scredly

• Members

I didn't see an IEM thread yet. I am considering purchasing the Sennheiser 300IEM G2 set-up and eventually something in the Ultimate Ear Pro series w/custom molds.

Anyone using IEM's? Please share your experience with different makes/models, ear pieces, tips & tricks.

• Members

The problem that I've seen using IEM's, is you really need a Monitor mixer with enough separate stereo mix outs for each person wearing their own IEM to really be able to utilize them.

Most of the time onstage, the only thing coming back through the wedges are vocals, guitar, and sometimes kick drum. But In IEM's, you generally want some kind of mix of the whole band.

If you have a good mix with outboard gear and effects going, it can actually sound like you are listening to a CD through headphones.

You may also need/want a "noise mic" aimed at the audience if you wanted to hear them, because the IEM's really can block out a lot of sound.

• Members

I loved them. Good idea with the room mic to pic up crowd noise. If your in a noisy room, and people usually yell in your ear anyway, let them. With the seal in your ear, they can yell directly in your ear and you can hear them at a low volume. If you are a singer, you don't yell as much between sets either. Leave them in and you can hear yourself well enough to speak lower and force other people to lisen more. It helps to save your voice. The main piece of advice I would give is to buy a good set first. Do not waste your time on a cheap set. They will just leave you unsattisfied.

• Members

Great topic....I hope it generates some good discussion of IEMs. I have what I'm sure will be a stupid question, but here goes: The main problem with IEMs seems to be (as Consume pointed out) that one needs the entire band, even apparently the audience, to be mixed in. It's as if IEMs place you into an aural cocoon.

But why can't one use ONE IEM in ONE EAR, leaving the other ear open to the room? If I send only vocals through the IEM, and they're not mixed in stereo, why can't I have my voice blasting into one ear?

• Members

The "one-ear" or hybrid method causes you to turn up the IEM ear louder than if you had both ears in to balance with the wedges. You're more likely to damage your hearing with this method.

Every article I've read about IEM's discourages the "one-ear" method. Including this one:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_hybrid_monitor_mixing/index.html

• Members
  • Members

Had Shure IEM, noisy and dropouts. Considered Sennheiser but decided to surf some and found Mipro to be the best rated in pro reviews and roundups. The only IEM with true diversity (2 receivers, not just 2 antennas) stereo and alloy case. Crystal clear sound and signal goes tru several walls of solid concrete. Plug and play and I've had no problems. Battery last forever (factory installed still in and working after 4 rehearsals and one gig and forgetting them on for hours) No, I don't sell'em... :-)

I'm considering a volume pedal for controlling the crowd mic mix-in volume. Alternative on of switch.

IEM is no different for any other separate monitor mix regarding monitor mixer. Each monitor mix needs it's own aux whether it's IEM or wedge. Remember you can have unlimited receivers on one transmitter.

One ear goes against the ide a of IEM: reduce sound level onstage and have better control.

• Members

Great post and feedback.

I'm in the "wondering stage" of looking into IEM. A band similar to mine, the lead singer uses an IEM and wireless setup. However he doesn't ever seem to move around the stage much?

Unlike myself where I like walk into the crowd at times, sometimes side stage and on a chair from time to time where a wired mic is a pain. (I'm all about audience participation and interaction)

So I've looked into the Shure setups. I currently use a Vocalist Live 2 in a few specific spots on some songs for backup enhancement. And I'm currently wondering how to utilize a few things:

1. Wireless mic

2. Voalist Live 2 (which needs my lead guitarist to plug into)

3. A solid IEM setup possibly?

or

I may just stick with my wired setup for mic. I think I'm buying an Audix OM2 next week. I didn't care for the SM58. I'm a tenor and I need more clean highs which I found thru the OM2's.

However I digressed. I'd love a nice IEM but only IF it did it ALL. And on a workin' mans budget!!!

• Members

I looked into the Mipro before. The true diversity is definitely a plus. Good reviews all around.

The only thing that concerns me is the majority of the offered frequencies are in the 700MHz band. That range will become very sensitive beginning in FEB2009 when the USA makes the switch to all digital television broadcasting. The government has auctioned off the old analogue TV spectrum to mobile phone companies, Microsoft and Google to provide wireless services. Unlicensed use in that spectrum will probably not be allowed after 2010. This will affect EVERY wireless system operating in the USA.

The Sennheiser units offer operation in the 500Mhz range (their Channel A) which, hopefully, will be available for unlicensed use for awhile longer.

Do a web search for "white space wireless microphones" to read more.

• Members

I may just stick with my wired setup for mic. I think I'm buying an Audix OM2 next week. I didn't care for the SM58. I'm a tenor and I need more clean highs which I found thru the OM2's.

Hey, not trying to hijack, but I wanted to comment on the Audix. I have an OM7, and it is so nice. I am not sure about the OM2, but the OM7 is real warm, and clean. Very different than the 58. I am a tenor also, and I love the lows I can produce with this mic. The OM7 requires you to eat the mic, or close to it. But it will not feed back. So, you can move all around with it, ie, get in front of the mains, etc. What a great product. But again, you need to take the time to relearn mic usage.

As for the IEM, I think that I might have some ear damage, because the mere thought of putting anything like that in my ear actually scares me. My right ear is very sensitive. I can't use those little buds that come with ipods and stuff. I just can't do it. They sound like cool products.

• Members

Great post and feedback.

So I've looked into the Shure setups. I currently use a Vocalist Live 2 in a few specific spots on some songs for backup enhancement. And I'm currently wondering how to utilize a few things:

1. Wireless mic

2. Voalist Live 2 (which needs my lead guitarist to plug into)

3. A solid IEM setup possibly?

See my post in Vocalist Live Pro thread about possible set-up:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30598676&postcount=138

I see the Sennheiser IEM unit listed in more that 50% of pro touring rigs. Seems to be a favourite. Must be for a reason. They can afford anything they please.

OM7 is a great mic. Try a Heil PR-35 in that price range too. Try out a Heil Pr-22 in the SM58-ish range. Cardioid pattern-so you don't have to constantly eat the mic. Nice top end. No mid build-up like a 58.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I see the Sennheiser IEM unit listed in more that 50% of pro touring rigs. Seems to be a favourite. Must be for a reason. They can afford anything they please.

Sennheiser and Shure do have the major market on wireless equipment for pro musicans. They have been in this for a long time and with a few exeptions they have been making very good equipment. This means that it's very difficult to steal their shares no matter how good your product is because of their position. It's like trying to squeeze BMW or Mercedez out: You just can't do it.

I've used both and other brands, established, cheap, expensive and you name it. When it comes to IEM, there is very little news and hype among the established brands. Both Shure and Sennheiser have found a format which works and people are happy with, so they've stayed the same for at least the same 10 years. I took some phones a while ago to many dealers and most touring acts around my country use Sennheiser. Still I decided to wait a while because of my very sad experience with Shure IEM.

BUT then I heard good things about Mipro from dealers and musicans that have been testing it out. And with a lower price tag, I decided to take a chance and ordered one. Turns out that this unit resolves every issue I had with Shure and Sennheiser systems. Better sound quality, no dropouts AT ALL, EVER, even tru tons of concrete, stereo and live mixing on beltpack, plug-and-play and a small, light, tough metal-beltpack with over 20 hours on 2xAA batteries.

But I bet it won't scare those people at Shure or Sennheiser, so I will consider it a little secret of my own...:p

• Members

I HATE IN EARS!!! I've tried them all and hate them all equally. I guess Im "Old School" I can't stand the "boxed in" feeling I have when I use them. Also, if you don't have a good Room Mic and monitor man with experience with them...YOUR {censored}ED!!! Give me a powerful monitor and Side Fills that part my hair!!!

• Members

Yea, some folks hate them for the isolation.

One guy I did sound for regularly said they made him sing like a wussy cuz he could hear himself so well and had difficulty judging his volume/dynamics.

I may buy a set of buds and rent the IEM set-up for a few shows to see if I like it before taking the plunge. I'm sure one of the local soundco's must have them in inventory.

• Members

Yea, some folks hate them for the isolation.

One guy I did sound for regularly said they made him sing like a wussy cuz he could hear himself so well and had difficulty judging his volume/dynamics.

I may buy a set of buds and rent the IEM set-up for a few shows to see if I like it before taking the plunge. I'm sure one of the local soundco's must have them in inventory.

1. You need to mix in an ambiance mic, or you'll go nuts

2. You'll hear your voice much better and all nuances, which allows you to have much better control over all details. Think of how much worse your voice sounded with your old muddy stage sound. You'll also preserve your voice better, cause you no longer have to blow out your lungs to hear yourself.

3. Volume is for soundman to adjust

4. Let time help you get used to them, don't give up after one show. You'd might contact users in your area to give some tips if you have issues/problems.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have the Shure IEM (PSM 200?) and I love it. Before I was screaming to hear myself through the monitors over the amps and drums. Keep in mind, we play small bars and only use the PA for vocals. The amps (and drummer) are cranked to fill the room. Picking your voice out of that haze of noise is damn near impossible.

The Shure has two inputs, I loop a monitor signal into one input. The 3 mics pick up a lot of the guitar and bass. Alternatively, I could use an ambiance mic (set a SM57 up) and run it in the second input. I play rythym guitar, and I also do the one ear version as well when I really need to hear my amp. I love being able to hear myself without straining my ears or my voice.

• Members

dumb question - to do in-ears right you definitely need your own little mixer, right?

I bought some Shure in-ears and decided I didn't really want the mix from the board, or to rely on the sound guy to adjust for me while I'm stuck on the drums. Also I have fear of feedback while wearing them. :mad:

• Members

My experience with In-Ear Monitors:

I bought the Shure PSM200 and sold it a few months later. I bought it when I started singing with a band. Because I had not develope mic technique or any kind of power or volume, In-Ears didn't really help. They only helped on pitch in the beginning but that's about it.

PRO's:

-Can hear yourself very well.

-Can use the other mic input for an ambient mix.

Con's:

-Without an ambient mic, you can't hear much except for yourself.

-Batteries and wires

-Mic Technique suffers

Because the in-ear monitors are so effective, I couldn't hear what people were saying to me at shows. I tried using a mic in the room but that didn't help me with poeple right at the front of the stage. So, I bought the ambient mic kit ($99) and plugged that in. This helped, but then I was all covered in wires from the in-ears and the lapel mic. Not fun.

Because the vocals were being pumped right into my ears I really didn't have a clue how they sounded in the monitors or out of the mains to the crowd. As a result, my mic technique suffered. I could hear myself just fine, but the sound guy couldn't get the vocal level right. Since the levels in my in-ears were relatively low, a small change in volume on my part didn't translate to much at all in the in-ears. But it made a HUGE difference in the mains.

The in-ear system was more trouble than it was worth at that point. So, I went to my local audiologist and was fitted for Musicians Plugs (15db). I haven't looked back.

With the musicians plugs I have been able to develop my mic technique, and I can still hear everything that's going on around me, just at 15db lower (safer). I still have to do the same thigns everyone else has to - deal with bad monitor mixes at venues and loud drummers. But at least the volume is lower and less likely to do damage to my hearing. The pair I got have a very flat frequency response.

• Members

i tried IEMs years ago (probably 8~9 years ago), ...invested almost $1000 in a shure PSM400 + shure E5. i hated them for all the reasons mentioned above, ...couldn't connect with the crowd well, didn't feel "live", they were bothersome at times, if i got real sweaty one would always slip out and since i play bass i didn't have a hand to put it back in, ..etc, etc, etc. so, i sold them, and went back to wedges.

well, last year, i started sitting in with a band that used IEMs exclusively, ...so i didn't have a choice, ..unless i brought my own wedges (which i did the first show as a backup). not sure why, but it was a good experience, ..so i tried it in my own band. i just stuck with it and now i love them and can't imagine ever NOT using them. it saves my voice and i feel i put on better performances b/c i can hear everything so well. the issues i had before don't bother me as much.

i now use the senn wireless unit with shure SCL5. i highly recommend this gear.

since IEMs are such an adjustment and has a high cost, ...i highly recommend this:

buy a behringer 4 channel headphone amp (~$100). and some decent earbuds (SCL3s can be found for $65 on sale). and a headphone extender cable at radio shack ($10). now, use a wired system for a few shows to see how you like it and to get adjusted. if you don't like it, ..you're not out that much money. if you do like it, ..you can invest in a nice set of earbuds and a nice wireless unit. you can keep the headphone amp + wire as a backup, ..or, in my situation, the drummer and keyboard player still use the headphone amp and just go wired anyway b/c they dont move much and that saves them $$$$.

i hope it helps.

Archived