CL - Is it me?

Kramerguy

• Members

... Or are the expectations getting even more ridiculous?!?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/muc/1399723706.html

Attn: Cover bands and Original bands! (Whiskey Tango)

Date: 2009-09-30, 12:26PM EDT

Reply to: comm-x8hrf-1399723706@craigslist.org

Whiskey Tango is running a type of "battle of the cover bands" thing on Tuesday nights. I am looking for new *COVER bands (a few original tunes thrown in are cool, too!) that may or may not have representation/management that would like to play at Tango but because of either their "newness" on the scene, or that they're self-booked, or the fact that they book with an agency we don't generally use, would like to be able to prove themselves to play there.

We will be doing a door deal. You'll get paid based on the amount of people you bring out on a Tuesday night. The band that brings the most people over a 3 month time span (it's every other Tuesday, so that's about 6 nights, 12 bands or so, that you'd be competing with.) Also-Any band that manages to bring out 100 people will AUTOMATICALLY be given a chance to do a PAID opener on a Fri or Sat night. So, you can win one of two ways. Either be the band that brings the most people out of 12 bands or be the band that brings out 100 people and win a spot automatically.

Also-if the bands that win do well on the Fri/Sat opening slot, they'll gain the chance to play there on a REGULAR ROTATION for regular pay.

So, if you're interested, get back to me asap and i will book you on a Tuesday.

I have one slot on Tuesday Oct 20th and 3 slots on Nov 3rd available right now, let me know!

Thanks!

-Lori Stidham -find me on facebook-be sure to include a few words stating that you found me on craigslist

Manager-Whiskey Tango

Manager- Branded Sound Studio

cell- 215 280 2805

email amhresale@earthlink.net

* On opposite Tuesday nights, it's ALL ORIGINAL! If you've read this ad and are in an original band, please feel free to respond also! I will put you in touch with who you need to book with to play our original nights!

All those hoops to get onto a regular rotation for Cover bands?!?!

• Members

So, you can win one of two ways.

This is what bugs me the most. "Win" Really? :facepalm:

And notice, not one mention of TALENT in the entire ad. Why not just be honest and say "we don't care WHAT you do on stage, or how terrible you are, as long as you have 100 people there to watch!"

It's a shame, but in the Tri-State area, ads like that are the norm.

• Members

My first thought when I read it was "You gotta be f~in kidding me.. what band would stand for that kind of berating from a venue...?"

Then I found this ad-

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/muc/1399790990.html

Looking for manager, or someone to fund my band (philadelphia)

my bands name is A Clean Slate, we have the potential of making some great recordings, except we dont have the funds to do it.

i urge you to check out or myspace and tell us what you think. we need to get in contact with someone that will be able to support our band and get us some recording time, we have about 5 or 6 songs, a couple pass the 5 minute mark, and we will also add keyboard, and a second guitar, so the recordings sound better. we have no matte at all, but are hoping that whoever decides to support us will definately reap rewards in the long run, we to get signed to a label and start touring ASAP, i know it just seems like a dream but the band has the determination to make it far and stick it out. we are opening a show in jersey at championship bar and grill and hope to see someone there that will take interest in our band and fund us.

check out or live recordings at www.myspace.com/phillysacleanslate

------

Ok, I went to their myspace.. it's god-awful.. not just poor production, but the band just lacks any assailable talent. :facepalm: for philly today.

• Members

Dude, I'm also in Philly and I was gonna post basically this exact same thread when I saw yours. Yeah, can you {censored}ing believe it? You have to slave every other Tuesday night for THREE MONTHS to maybe "win" a paying gig there. I've seen more and more of these around here--doesn't matter if you fart into the microphone, just bring a few mouthbreathers in the door and you "win a real gig!!!!!11".

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: x a google

• Members

Dude, I'm also in Philly and I was gonna post basically this exact same thread when I saw yours. Yeah, can you {censored}ing believe it? You have to slave every other Tuesday night for THREE MONTHS to maybe "win" a paying gig there. I've seen more and more of these around here--doesn't matter if you fart into the microphone, just bring a few mouthbreathers in the door and you "win a real gig!!!!!11".

:facepalm:
:facepalm: x a google

We've been playing a few shows here and there in philly, and so far EVERY one of them has been "sell tix if you want to get paid" shows. Last one was on a thurs night. A major headliner that shared the stage only got about 100 people out. We got NONE. can't convince people to go out on weeknights, especially downtown or manayunk...

The philly scene sucks anymore.

• Members

There is a pretty good response to this:

All I can say is that these open mic nights around the area are becoming lamer and lamer. Whiskey Tango's latest spin on the o/m night concept is particularly lame. LOL - how many nights does a band have to haul itself out to Whiskey Tango with its friends, family and what few fans it may have, in tow, before it maybe secures a spot to play a full night at your bar? How much good will does a band have to use up with its precious family, friends and fan base, who will need to come out on multiple Tuesday nights, pay a cover and then listen to other lame cover bands - before the band they came to see maybe, possibly, questionably lands a gig at Whiskey Tango?

Lori - if you're just looking to fill the bar with patrons on a slow night during the week - just run some decent drink specials. Don't prey on the hopes of these "cover bands" just so you can get them to repeatedly bring their fiends and families into your bar so you can sell them over priced beer and rail drinks.

• Members

Hey, their keyboard player is pretty good.

;)

Oh, wait, I didn't hear a keyboard.

Exactly...

My first thought when I read it was "You gotta be f~in kidding me.. what band would stand for that kind of berating from a venue...?"

Then I found this ad-

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/muc/1399790990.html

Looking for manager, or someone to fund my band (philadelphia)

my bands name is A Clean Slate, we have the potential of making some great recordings, except we dont have the funds to do it.

i urge you to check out or myspace and tell us what you think. we need to get in contact with someone that will be able to support our band and get us some recording time, we have about 5 or 6 songs, a couple pass the 5 minute mark, and we will also add keyboard, and a second guitar, so the recordings sound better. we have no matte at all, but are hoping that whoever decides to support us will definately reap rewards in the long run, we to get signed to a label and start touring ASAP, i know it just seems like a dream but the band has the determination to make it far and stick it out. we are opening a show in jersey at championship bar and grill and hope to see someone there that will take interest in our band and fund us.

check out or live recordings at
www.myspace.com/phillysacleanslate

------

Ok, I went to their myspace.. it's god-awful.. not just poor production, but the band just lacks any assailable talent.
for philly today.

• Members

Hey.. you guys should go back and read the last couple of days of posts (re:re:re: )...lol that topic went ape{censored} on CL, lots of great responses, along with lots of angry and useless ones... but here's one of my favorites so far:

First of all you need to re-read my post, I wasn't in any way speaking for bar owners. I was speaking for fellow musicians who I know for a fact feel the same way I do. I wasn't speaking for all musicians mind you, just the ones who feel like I do on this issue. I absolutely have an idea what I'm talking about because I guarantee I've been playing clubs longer than you've been a bar owner. It's only been fairly recently that bands are hired ONLY if they can pack a place. I remember when bands were hired because they were great talented bands that eventually built huge followings in places. Bands would play for weeks at a time in the same place and pack them in every night because they were in one place long enough for word to get out. It's the same thing that's wrong with the music industry today, they expect you to have multiple radio hits on your debut album and be mega huge stars overnight or you get dropped from the label. Nobody develops bands anymore or invests in a great act that will bring people in. Could you imagine if a band like Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band was getting started today? They would be done before they even got warmed up. But because someone took the time and investment in developing them they are one of the best selling acts in the world. I suppose you want a DJ and Karaoke guys to bring in massive crowds too, huh? Wake up man, these days people aren't following bands like they used to. If a good band is playing locally at their favorite spot then they'll go. But no band is packing them in on a Tuesday night. You know it as well as I do. Why don't you start advertising and investing in your bar to make it a place people want to go regardless of what band is playing. No, then that would mean you'd have to be resposible for bringing in your own business. God forbid.

• Members

Hey.. you guys should go back and read the last couple of days of posts (re:re:re: )...lol that topic went ape{censored} on CL, lots of great responses, along with lots of angry and useless ones... but here's one of my favorites so far:

Where are you finding these? I still only see the one I referenced...

• Members

I liked this one personally: :)

Band in search of bartender (Philadelphia)

Date: 2009-10-01, 10:44AM EDT

Reply to:
comm-yepp7-1401152745@craigslist.org
[Errors when replying to ads?]

We are a local band that is in need of a bartender or entire bar staff to work the bar while we perform at a private partys. There is no money involved but if you are good we will consider you for a paying job in the future. Be sure to bring all equipment / items necessary: Draft beer system,liquor,mixers,and ice. We ask that you set up 1 hour before start time. There will be plenty of hardcore drinkers at these events. This is a GREAToppurtunity to develop a following!

Archived