Musician to musician ettiquette...

sorocknroll

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find it horribly tacky and unprofessional when I'm in the middle of a gig and someone comes up, tells me they love the band, yada yada, and they sing/play too and would I mind if they sang/played one with us.

Am I being too territorial? Or is this completely out of line?

saying they like you is cool, just ignore them after a few seconds if they're drunk and rambling. asking to play or sing is just straightup out of the question.

• Members

I think that's part of it.

We ARE a good band and we didn't become a good band by snaking up on stage with other people. It took {censored}ing work. We had to play some {censored}ty Wednesdays at this last place in order to EARN that Friday night stage. {censored} that guy for walking in and trying to think deserves the fruits of OUR labor.

My response is usually something like, "Yeah, I'd LOVE to hear you sing. Why don't you go find a guitarist, bassist and drummer, rehearse for a couple of months and come back here on a Saturday night."

• Members

This is how I would answer.

That is kind of you to ask. However, we don't do that. Would you like to come for an audition? Send us an email and we'll take it from there.

This way there are no hurt feelings and if you do get an email from them, you can gently turn them down.

• Members
I find it horribly tacky and unprofessional when I'm in the middle of a gig and someone comes up, tells me they love the band, yada yada, and they sing/play too and would I mind if they sang/played one with us.

Am I being too territorial? Or is this completely out of line?

Next time they interupt you by being too loud...just push thier head into the pillow.

:)

• Members

This is how I would answer.

That is kind of you to ask. However, we don't do that. Would you like to come for an audition? Send us an email and we'll take it from there.

This way there are no hurt feelings and if you do get an email from them, you can gently turn them down.

I think this is just a little too nice. I'm all for being diplomatic, but this doesn't address the issue at hand. How is someone asking to get up on my stage and disrupt my show being kind? Sure, it's kind of them to compliment the band, but if they're just trying to get up into the spotlight, they're not being kind, they're using kindness as a tactic. Big difference. And why invite them to "audition" for a role that does not exist? This amounts to kicking the can down the road so you can deal with it later.

Just my opinion.

• Members
Nobody here has mentioned the occasion where the dude who hired the band for the night wants to sing along. We double-billed an office party (held in a bar) and the other band had the boss up to give a blind-drunk screamo version of "Whipping Post".

Good Lord, did you feel like dying?

Mrs. P once told a band we were dancing to that I played w/o telling me she'd done so. :facepalm:

They invited me onstage at the next set and started a very fast song I'd never heard before; turned out to be in Bflat. The leader had a little keyboard next to him onstage (cheap, w/ speakers built in); I kept up appropriately, took a solo when directed to, and left the stage after the song, somewhat embarassed at the wife's actions.

The band leader called me back for 2 more songs, and had a great time w/ the (excellent) band. Told Mrs. Pigger later never to do that again.

• Members
Ummm, I guess I am guilty of this...
:wave:
...however, only if the bar is dead and it is not an originals band...if it is then I'll ask to hop up for a song, if they say no, hey, no harm no foul right??

I hope, after reading this, you think twice before you do that again.

• Members

I usually just stand there, where the players can see me, and show them I am digging their music... if they need a guitar, they will usually ask me to come up. More often then not, after spying a train wreck, I tell them I didn't bring a guitar...and don't hurt their feelings by saying no...

• Members

We are usually a "by invitation only" band as well, but one night, during a break, a lady tells me her husband "plays guitar for Donny Osmond and would we let him get up and play a song with us"? Well, Donny O isn't really our style, but I go talk to the guy to verify. I could tell he really didn't want to play - it was his wife's idea. Anyway, he says he could play "You Really Got Me" (which we happen to know) and I have him come up first thing next set. He starts off playing "Eruption" - note for note - then goes into You Really Got Me (Van Halen version). The guy was a monster on guitar! The crowd loved it, but our guitar player was a little intimidated after that.

A few weeks ago we had Bon Jovi's bass player in the house. We invited him up and he played three songs with us. That was cool.

• Members

We have people wanting to sit in with our band all the time. If they just want to sing a song and there not too drunk then it is not a problem. If they suck then if they ask on another night we tell them no. We have had several people over the years that didn't suck and they would come to the bar and bring friends with them hoping we would ask them up. This is a win for the band because they can help you pack the place. Now if someone wants to sit in on an instrument we leave that up to the band member whose instrument they want to play.

• Members

It's
your
gig, not theirs.

Just tell them the drummer is OCD and will go postal if you change what you do.

Are you sure you aren't in Vegas? That IS my drummer. He has his reasons, though.. If you aren't rehearsed with the sit-in, it can go very badly. The last thing you should do to a club/venue is risk a train-wreck on stage...

That said, if the band decides as a whole that it's OK, we'll allow it. But it can't be just on member volunteering the slot.

Archived