Open mic in Nashville

• Members

Hey everybody,

I did an open mic in Nashville this past week.

It was at The Listening Room. Pretty cool place but man the format was strange....

Here is Houston, you get up, play your 3-4 songs and off you go.

Not so at this place.....they had 2-3 people on stage at once and would take turns.

Even after the open mic was over the "showcase" show was a similar format. 4 guys onstage at once but taking turns playing thier own songs...

So I played my 2 songs...only have the one video to show for it...technical difficulties on the camera...(we find out later...novid... :mad:)

Had a great time... Got everyones card (reminder...make business cards) Even some lady that for $500 a year will promote me in Nashville...lol...Even gave a little advice when it was warranted.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Thanks!!!

• Members

That's called "in the round"... I've seen it done at singer/songwriter showcase gigs here in Houston, but never at an open mic.

What part of Houston are you in? I know of a couple of cool acoustic open mics if you want some info...

• Members

Thanks! You learn something new everyday.....

I'm on the Northwest side of town. GrantSpring Cypress area.

Know anywhere that does acoustic solo shows?

I've been doing the band thing for years and am looking to get out on my own more often.

Thanks again!

TJ

• Members

Here's a list of open mics on the west-side. The ones on Tuesday and Thursday are run by a good friend of mine... they might be a bit of a haul for you tough. If you PM your email address to me, I will give it to another friend that runs some open mics up closer to your area...

Oh... and for shows, the guy at Churchill's is looking for acoustic solo acts for Sunday afternoons on his patio when the weather warms up... so you might want to check out that open mic, and meet the owner (his name is Dave)...

Tuesdays 8pm - 12:00am

Churchill's Sports Bar & Grill

16687 W.Airport Blvd

Sugar Land, Texas 77498

(281) 325-0095

www.churchillsbartexas.com

Hosted by Rusty Winz

Wednesdays 9pm-12:30am

Richmond Chill Bar and Grill

4704 Richmond (just inside 610 loop)

Houston TX

(713) 622-0775

www.ridethechill.com

Hosted by Mark Zeus

Thursdays 8pm - 12:00am

Ashford Arms Irish Pub

14605 Perthshire

Houston, TX 77079

(281) 497-5316

www.ashfordpub.com

Hosted by Rusty Winz

Sundays 6pm-???

J P Hops House

2317 Highway 6 S

Houston, TX 77077

(281) 496-0623

www.jphopshouse.com

Hosted by T.C. Smythe

• Members

Yeah I like the flow of the Nashville Open Mics.

Out of 3 or 4 writers doing the round you're bound to like some of it and don't have to suffer through someone else's entire 15/20 minuetes.

The problem is the "noodlers" that join in....which is great if your songs are a standard progression, but if not,,,,,,yuck.

• Members

Out of 3 or 4 writers doing the round you're bound to like some of it and don't have to suffer through someone else's entire 15/20 minuetes.

The problem is the "noodlers" that join in....which is great if your songs are a standard progression, but if not,,,,,,yuck.

Yep... had that problem with a bass-player a couple of weeks ago... He's a great guy, and a really good player when he knows the song... well, I did a song that he had never heard, and instead of just being quiet, he fumbled around trying to figure out the progression for the entire song... ugh... so then I threw him a bone and did a couple of 1-4-5 tunes. :thu:

• Members

I liked the format too. I wasn't sure what to think at first and didn't know if anyone would try to "play along". Thankfully they didn't.

BTW...How rude would that be!!!

Archived