Night vs Day: PodXT Live vs Pod HD500

• Members

So for about 5 years I used a PodXT Live. I've never really been that much into recording my playing but there have been instances where I've needed/wanted to post something for one thread or another.

The main problem I had was that my direct recording didn't sound like my live playing even though I was using exactly the same patches. Late last year I had a Pod X3 Live on layaway that I was all set to pay off in January when I heard about the "new" Line 6 "HD" series. I've learned to despise "HD" anything - like I really want to drink "HD" beer or eat "HD" pizza.

So I spent some time researching the new Line 6 HD series. Since the HD500 was the same price as the X3 Live, I swapped the layaway and picked up the HD500.

For those not familiar the new "HD" series, it's a whole new modeling tech with a new DSP with 10x more processing power than previous units. The HD500 is essentially the new modeling tech combined with the M13 although my understanding is that there are somewhat fewer parameters for the different FX on the HD500 than the M13.

Modeling may not be your thing but the difference between the HD500 and the XT Live is huge. Tonight I finally got around to trying some direct recording. As I had done with the XT Live, I used a Presonus TubePRE with no Drive, just Gain, to get up to Line Level. I'm no audiophile, but to my ears, there is no real difference between what I hear live vs what I'm hearing direct.

The HD500 ain't cheap - $500 (ok, to some of you that IS cheap). And while you cannot use your patches from the X3, XT, etc you have a lot more control over your tone than the HD300 or HD400. But if you love your tone with your old Pod gear, I'm pretty sure you'll love it even more with the new "HD" series.

• Members

Picked one up a while ago and let my then rhythm player try it out, he bought one a couple of weeks later. We just used it for live use, it is pretty sweet. Also 1 less live mic on-stage is always a plus.

How easy is it to switch between amp/cab models and different effects in a live setting? Can all the changes be performed using only foot pedals?

• Members

How easy is it to switch between amp/cab models and different effects in a live setting? Can all the changes be performed using only foot pedals?

Easy. Off the top of my head 5 presets. Amp cab mic EQ fx without switching banks. Each of the fx can be switched on or off and a programmable expression/volume/wah/amp-blender pedal. Switch banks and the number is really big.

• Members

Here's what I do - I use one channel for a patch and that patch includes everything I want for that particular sound. The HD500 has 8 different "sets" and each set can hold 32 patches. That's 256 patches. A lot of the stuff I cover has a clean and distortion so I create two completely different patches and load them side-by-side. With one click I can change EVERYTHING.

• Members

I got a POD HD 500 the first week they became available in October and have gigged steadily with it since. i LOVE the DRZ,Park 75,JTM 45 amd JCM 800 models.

I am amazed at how GOOD the Chandler Tube drive model sounds as well.

The entire band has been very happy with my tone,and we all like the fact that stage volume has been reduced

Archived