Yamaha MM6 at a bargain? price

jamieb

• Members

Hi,

My wife was just visiting the world-infamous Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro. She found an MM6 for $200. Looks like a couple of keys need repaired/replaced.

Is this worth the money? I remember it being mentioned a good while ago (I think in a thread where Grant was adding a 'board), and it wasn't the greatest investment. But, for that price (and we have a good service tech near here) is it a decent live gig instrument?

Worse comes to worst, I can put it on Ebay. Cheapest one I saw was $232, with a day's worth of bids left.

Any pro/con opinions? (I figure she's already bought it by now.)

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I really like mine, but I wouldn't take it on the road. Great sounds, pretty crappy casing, buttons, etc. I keep it in the studio, and get a lot of mileage out of it. I've gigged with it a few times, and it does the job, but wouldn't hold up. Also, the keys are touch-sensitive but not weighted, if that's an issue for you.

• Members

I would ask for a lower price(maybe $100), or avoid it altogether. Like ChickenMonkey said, the unit has a very cheap build quality as it is, which may be an issue if you're planning on bringing it to gigs. I can see from the gear in your sig that you already have a viable setup.

• Members

I won't use it for the big "road gigs", per se. This is for my band that plays semi-locally. Figure I might grab a cheap gig bag. I need an extra synth for horns and such. I guess I could do some split set-ups on my trusty old Kurzweil, but, a) the internal battery is dead, and b) I won't take the time to change it out!

For Leah's gig, the keys are supplied. I have the Hammond XK-3C and a Korg SV-1 88-key, which work for the "meat and potatoes" sounds I need for her show.

If I get in a pinch for other timbres, they have the Motif ES rack module, and the Motif XS 8. So it wouldn't go on any of the long-haul gigs we do.

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Good enough for $200... like the others I wouldn't gig with it regularly... but it might be a nice 'light' alternative to zip off to a rehearsal or a local gig. Honestly the build quality is for hit (hence the broken keys). At worst you have a $200 module with decent brass, piano, organ and synth.

• Members

Got it home, and it looks like minor key damage. This thing evidently was not in any kind of case, and was on a plane, so the damage doesn't surprise me. I think I can get it to hold out for a while with the type gigs I'll play with it.

Some pretty decent sounds, it seems. I can see the limitations on the editing of sounds, but for $200, I couldn't ask for much...

We'll see. Thanks again for the input.

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I owned one for awhile and it seemed more than anything like a PSR minus the speakers. It had a home keyboard-like low, weak output, even with internal volume levels maxed out. But I banged on it pretty heavy and no keys broke. The patterns are fun to play with. When I had a chance to get a Yamaha S30 (61-key version of S80) for $300 I jumped on it, and sold the MM6. MUCH happier now. Even though the S30 doesn't have the '74 Rhodes patch, it's ac. pianos and organs are way better for my use and it doesn't feel like a toy- or come halfway off the stand with a gliss.

But for $200, you did OK IMO.:thu: Let me know when you play around these parts again! So I can lust after your rig (sorry if that sounds funny:o)

• Members

Let me know when you play around these parts again!

I'll be in Iuka tomorrow for the Iuka Heritage Festival, provided the storm doesn't cancel it. Don't know if that's driving distance for you or not. I had PM'ed you yesterday (I think) about it.

jamieb

+++++

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update: Used the MM6 this weekend, as my CX-3 is still down. Some of the sounds were great! I did notice a big difference in the output volumes of some of the patches. Don't know about the "tweakability" of this, since I only have the manual on my phone as a .pdf file. Gonna grab a cheap gig bag (maybe the World Tour one that American Musical offers) and carry it myself. It should get me by until I get the CX-3 fixed, and maybe upgrade to a more pro-grade 'board. (If I stick with Yamaha, I might try the MO series, or may bite the bullet and go for a full-fledged Motif. Open to any brand, if the quality is there.)

Incidentally, I attempted to do a little song programming with the MM6. Was trying to get some stuff for the aux parts to "Wanted Dead Or Alive" (the wind/chimes, the "air raid siren", etc.) I had mixed results...

As I posted originally, I bought this used, so I didn't the the DAW software that came with it originally. Thought about contacting Yamaha and seeing if I could purchase it separately, but I didn't know if it would be worth the effort.

Any opinions on the software?

jamieb

+++++

Archived