"Learn to Fly" by Foo Fighters

Gizzyboo

• Members

Foo Fans are typically (at least from what I've seen in the past weeks) are really diehards for Everlong, My Hero and, Wheels. I do Walk and These Days as filler in the hopes that someone notices but mostly its the older Foo that gets the fans going from my experience.

• Members

I think LTF is just a little too slow. Someone said "plodding" and I agree with that, even though I like the song a lot. There are lots of great songs that are similar in that that don't really go over that great because of the tempo being a bit too slow.

We do Everlong and it goes over well, but it's just a more popular and widely accepted song for whatever reason...IMO it has a slower feel than LTF, but the drums are going at doubletime so that gives it a more upbeat groove. I dunno, people just like it.

I'd think Monkey Wrench would be a good candidate to go over well: great tempo, was popular in its day (pretty much everyone old enough to be in a bar has heard it) and is pretty fun to play. In fact, I may lobby for us to add it.

I'm not super familiar with the latest album (yes, I'm old and use the word "album") but I've heard a couple songs on the radio and none of them seemed like great candidates to add to the setlist. I'll have to go listen to the two you suggested in particular.

• Members

"Rope" =

So this goes over well?? The album (and pretty much all Foo stuff) is AWESOME, but we weren't sure how the new stuff would go over.

We play All My Life (usually to end the night) at probably 50% of gigs. People dig it but we can't play it in every situation.

• Members

So this goes over well?? The album (and pretty much all Foo stuff) is AWESOME, but we weren't sure how the new stuff would go over.

We play All My Life (usually to end the night) at probably 50% of gigs. People dig it but we can't play it in every situation.

I don't play this one and neither do any of my foo loving musician friends but I love that song.

• Members

I played Learning to Fly in a previous band about 12-13 years ago. I think in cover band terms that's near 'classic rock status' LOL. The Foos have never taken a hold with this band.... I don't see the material matching well with what we currently play but I do love them. Rope or All My Life would be my two favs to cover. Monkeywrench or Everlong for nostalgia.

• Members

learning to fly IMO wouldn't work with us.

About 6 years ago we used to do "times like these" and that bombed hard.... how do you dance to that drum beat in between each verse? what was it, 5/4 or 7/4? I don't remember, but I rmember the crowd giving us a WTF look. :lol: Love the song though.

If I had to go with one it would be Monkeywrench, everlong or Hero... but for us I think they all would flop.

• Members

learning to fly IMO wouldn't work with us.

About 6 years ago we used to do "times like these" and that bombed hard.... how do you dance to that drum beat in between each verse? what was it, 5/4 or 7/4? I don't remember, but I rmember the crowd giving us a WTF look.
:lol:
Love the song though.

If I had to go with one it would be Monkeywrench, everlong or Hero... but for us I think they all would flop.

We've been doing Times Like These for a few months now - it's a bandmate's favorite FF song - but it's been hit or miss. Some nights it really does go over great, but it seems that more often than not it gets an average response at best.

• Members

"Learning to Fly" - great song, definitely doesn't kill with the crowd, though. Filler.

"All My Life" - killer song, nice and aggressive. BOOSH. We did it for a few shows, but my singer had trouble with it.

"Monkeywrench" KILLS it live - that middle part with the screaming is so high energy and awesome.

"The Pretender" - one of my favorites to play, one of the crowds' favorites to hear. If you've got some nuts and some vox ability, it's a sick song.

Archived