Important gigs...how often to follow up?

• Members

I posted a while back about a $1200 per night gig that we nailed. We have another booked for May 4th, but that is the only date we have left booked to date.

I talked to the guy the day after our last (first time in) gig and he said he loved it, wanted me to get back with him later in the week so I did and have continued to over the past 6 weeks...messages, email, txts, etc...

I finally heard back from him by txt yesterday and he confirmed he has some sporadic dates for us but he's been really busy and we're on his list of calls. I've basically been following up once a week or so and switching up my method of contact but this is the first time he's gotten back to me. I understand though that can be the way it goes :rolleyes:

Is it appropriate to keep following up about once a week or so? I don't want to annoy him but I sure don't want him to forget about us...frustrating being new on his roster and low on the totem pole compared to all his 'regular' bands...

• Members

Don't over do it and piss him off. Worse case, nail the next gig and book new dates face to face after the gig. The next gig is just three weeks away. One more call a week before the next gig would probably work.

Negative, once a week is business. Every day would piss him off. Find out when he is at the club and make a personal drive by. That gets results.

• Members

yeah, I have a guy like that.. it's just the way he is. I could call every week, but it would be a waste of my time and the paper that whoever answered the phone writes my message on.

I started popping in once a week until I figured out when was the best days and times to pop in (doesn't hurt that I work 15 minutes away from there), and that made all the difference in the world. Now I pop in about once a month, or once between gigs, we're on a full rotation, and his "chosen" band for special events and whatnot. Personal relationships go a long way, regardless that it's business.

• Members

Negative, once a week is business. Every day would piss him off. Find out when he is at the club and make a personal drive by. That gets results.

I agree. We're in rotation in town at one particular bar. In December, I had to pester the guy every week for five weeks straight until he finally sat down with me. We eventually got four gigs every 6-7 weeks out of it, but those were hard fought gigs! Sometimes, you just have to be persistant. I'm just glad people are starting to call us now so I don't feel like I'm always bugging people to hire us. Got a call yesterday right before my guitar lesson. Made my night! :)

• Members

I agree. We're in rotation in town at one particular bar. In December, I had to pester the guy every week for five weeks straight until he finally sat down with me. We eventually got four gigs every 6-7 weeks out of it, but those were hard fought gigs! Sometimes, you just have to be persistant. I'm just glad people are starting to call us now so I don't feel like I'm always bugging people to hire us. Got a call yesterday right before my guitar lesson. Made my night!
:)

Yeah...we're getting calls too. I actually got calls from 2 new places last week. Met with and booked the first and have a meeting scheduled for next week with the other. It's always nice when they call you!!

But...it can be annoying when {censored} holes call and you have to turn them down! Had a couple of those in the past few months too. "Hi this is Joe from Joe Shmoe's Bar. I've heard about you guys and I'd really like to work with you. What open dates do you have this month? Um, none, we're booked solid for the next 3 months, but we have some openings for later in the year. Oh, OK. What do you charge? Well, it varies based on lots of factors and what you want us to provide. What's your budget range generally? We pay the bands $300 per night, but you get a $20 bar tab too, and if you pack the place we'll pay you more. Oh. (Not literally, but essentially)....click."

I guess having the privelage to be able to pick and choose some gigs is a good problem to have. :thu:

Archived