Regular venue making big changes. Thoughts?

ckcondon

• Members

Been playing the venue for years. Great relationship w/mgmt. Last year they opened a second location in town.

We have always booked Fri & Sat. The new location has no place to store gear since the band plays on a covered patio. We've booked a few one nighters and it's all good.

I call to book the rest of the year and get more shows at the original location (Where most of our fan base is).

The mgr tells me they are moving out of the original location to a building nearby. However, the "Stage area" will not be available for us to leave gear setup over a weekend. Now that venue is a one-nighter! What he wants to do is book the bands for a whole weekend but have us play a night in each venue.

It's not crap $$ for this town, but it's definitely going to be a lot more work. I already have a job!

I'm tempted to just tell him we'll book one night at one venue or the other, but we aren't interested in both clubs in one weekend.

The other tack is to try to leverage more $$ for the "Hassle factor" or at least negotiate a better band tab for us to include dinners and draft beer. We usually get $50 toward the tab and discounted prices.

What do you think? Of course there is the "20 other bands want to play here" mentality, so I do need to tread a bit lightly so I don't lose one of our best venues.

Cheers!

CC

• Members

Would you TYPICALLY book a Friday at a given venue and a Saturday at another?

If so, there's your answer.

If not, but you're still on the fence...yeah, if it's worth a fight/potential downsides of arguing for it: better fringe benefits (ie, free meal for each member plus a bar tab, or the like)

• Members

I would probably keep the gig and just do two different set ups. It is more of a hassle, but that is what you would normally have to do anyway if you played at different venues. Just treat it as two separate places. Maybe ask them to kick in an extra meal for each menmber. Just my thoughts...

Archived