Any of you make/use abstract "cheat sheets"/song diagrams? (for music, not lyrics)

BATCAT

• Moderators

One day at band practice, I was trying to communicate a song's structure to a non-instrumentalist vocalist I work with, someone who is very intuitive/creative-minded but VERY non-methodical/mathematical. She just doesn't "get it", looking at the standard "verse x2, chorus X4 etc" song map. But she's a painter as well and visually-minded, so I mapped out the song with different-colored bars for the different parts and all of a sudden we could communicate. Cool.

But the other thing the rest of the band noticed was that it was a lot easier to glance at the representation of the song and take in the whole thing that way that the usual "text" method. So gradually, I've begun mapping songs out with colored bars and symbols instead, and I find it much easier to know where I am at a glance.

Here's one from the dry-erase board in our space. That's also handy because you can snap a pic and put it on your phone.

IMAG0010.jpg

• Members

Oh goodie! Abstract art!

Can I interpret?

I: Brown Sound

II: 70's scratch guitar

III: Chuck Berry

IV: Bono

V: 70's guitar solo

VI: Surf style

VII: A big brown whole note

VIII: Quote "Kind of Blue"

IX: Willie Nelson style rideout (cough cough)

• Members

Interesting. Kind of the Suzuki method of learning song structure. No offence inended, but probably the best thing I pulled out of this thread is putting a white board in a rehearsal space. Brilliant. :idea: As much as use them at work one would have thought I would have come up with this on my own a couple decades ago. :facepalm:

If I'm reading it right, it looks like you deleted a chorus in the above example?

• Members

Who leads? When? Do you use lyrics as a cue or do you count measures? Does your drummer use a particular fill to lead into the bridge? Does your bass player "walk up" to the chorus?

I'm surprised at how often I hear a song that goes from section to section without any kind of transition.

• Moderators

I'm following everything there until the last line. Is that a lunch reminder for subway??

:lol:

The blue parts are choruses, and the brown parts are verses... the song ends with the vocals and guitar parts for ther chorus played with the drums and bass patterns of the verse. Hence, both colors.

:o

Archived