Breaking news to the band question

thebrownsfive

• Members

I would like to ask a hypothetical question to you all. Someone in the band has been given an opportunity to compete in some kind of competition that could be really great exposer for that member and maybe even create some buzz for the band. How would you break it to the band? I know the band will not be happy about it, probably more out of fear of losing this member for a while so if that is the case, how would you approach it?

Thanks

• Members

So you're going on 'The Voice' or 'X factor' or something and want to break it to your band. I see (just kidding).

In all seriousness, I've been fortunate enough that every band I've been in has been pretty understanding when someone wants to leave/take a break due to personal issues, wanting a change, opportunity to 'do better', etc. I don't think you (hypothetically) should feel bad about asking to take on a new venture.

I don't think you should use the 'it might get the band some exposure' tactic though. If it's a singing competition and not a band competition, then no one is really going to care about the band. You don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

If it were me I'd just say 'hey guys, I have this opportunity to be in this competition. It's really something that I want to do and I don't want to miss out on it'. Just understand that they may not be happy, but they should be supportive. Also understand that there's a possibility that you may not have a band to come back to if the competition thing doesn't work out.

• Members

I agree.......be supportive. I mean, why not? If you're NOT supportive and he/she pulls out because he doesn't want to upset anyone, then there are hard feelings and the band probably breaks up anyway. Or, if you're not supportive and he/she goes for it anyway, win or lose, bridges are burnt, maybe irreparably. So, IMO, be supportive!

• Members

I'd hope they'd be supportive - otherwise, is that a band you want to be in?

A singer from my last band auditioned for American Idol twice. We supported him - worst thing that could happen was he became a big star and still jammed with his old rock band to huge accolades. Win-win no matter what!

A thought:

The stretch between "hey, I'm auditioning for *insert show*" and actually ruining a band's career that's noteworthy by doing it is kind of a massive leap in career logic, you know? The band who is "trying to make it" is no where near "made it" if the singer is going to audition for some reality TV show.

So band mates getting upset is total pish - go try out for the show and good luck!

• Members

Something to think about.... a local guy won "Canadian Idol" a few years back. He made his Idol record and now plays in an alternative rock band. He has great name recognition around here, but nobody knows what band he's in or when he's playing.... 'cause he's not allowed to put his name on the posters. The Man owns him, man. Just like Prince.

• Members

Something to think about.... a local guy won "Canadian Idol" a few years back. He made his Idol record and now plays in an alternative rock band. He has great name recognition around here, but nobody knows what band he's in or when he's playing.... 'cause he's not allowed to put his name on the posters. The Man owns him, man. Just like Prince.

Wow that would be strange not being able to put MY name on a poster.

• Members

I would like to ask a hypothetical question to you all. Someone in the band has been given an opportunity to compete in some kind of competition that could be really great exposer for that member and maybe even create some buzz for the band. How would you break it to the band? I know the band will not be happy about it, probably more out of fear of losing this member for a while so if that is the case, how would you approach it?

Thanks

How do you break it to the band? Honestly and timely are the two thoughts that come to mind for me. Keep in mind that how you break it to the band will have ZERO impact on the this member's plans - your bandmate isn't asking for permission. If you as a band leader try to keep that hidden from the rest of the band - you're adding insult to injury.

As far as how the rest of the band feels about it - the smart ones will shake his hand, congratulate the band member on his good fortune - and wish him all the best in the competition. Dimmer bandmates may suffer a little butthurt ... but get over it quickly once they come to grips with the fact that they have no control over the situation. If you're unlucky enough to have a real idiot in the group - the butthurt will be mixed with anger - and the idiot will push for a bridge burning of one sort or another.

• Members

Whomever it is that is breaking this news should just do it. No need to sugarcoat it either. Yet at the same time, no need to be prickish either. :)

My band received this kind of news last year. We took it like men and wished our singer the best of luck in her endeavors.

Archived