How much of your own music do you listen to?

Yer Blues

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr

View Post

So then you certainly can understand how a person, critical in nature, who has moved on to the next project, doesn't want to listen to the old project to be reminded of what they are not happy with. It's not a matter of not being able to 'stand' listening to it. It's a matter of listening to it as a creator of the music rather than as a listener of the music. Some people just can't turn of being a creator when they listen.

i think that this kind of person needs to realize that the song and the singer (or the player) are two different things. they need to learn to let go of the song and let it become its own thing, while at the same time they need to let themselves become something new as well. of course there are going to be parts that you wish you'd done differently, but if you had gone the obsessive perfectionist route, the song would never have been completed in the first place!

• Members

I hate listening to myself or band doing covers.. I catch every little thing.

With originals, I find myself listening to 80% of what I wrote and recorded solely, and am drawn to it, and like to think in my head that I would change this or that, most often resulting in me feeling like I screwed it up. My own remakes of old tunes were all a huge disappointment.

In stuff I've collaborated on, I've felt pretty mixed on the downward side. I always end up unhappy with the final product, kick myself for not thinking of a better guitar line here and there, dislike the tone, wish I used a tele for this song and a LP for that song.. etc..

I feel like the tortured musician, but without the success. I always fall back to the stuff I wrote between 88-93.. it sounds timeless to me, and I love the melodies I came up with then. I'm working on a new concept project that will likely never see the light of day because I know I have something great, but am unable to properly shape it. Should have kept up on those theory classes :/ lol

Archived