Serious slip up tonight, considering events.

Blackbird 13

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pickinatit

View Post

I don't disagree that if the venue/situation was one where reflection and introspection...that sort of thing was the goal...then yeah, now would be a very appropriate time to play that song but your avg. Friday/Saturday night dancing, partying crowd probably prefers to forget about what happened for an evening until they get home and turn the news back on. Just my $ .02

Totally agree.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!

View Post

Please understand how I look at it....

if it puts a really nasty negative feel out there..why play it..ever? Yeah, I mean it. McCartney has been playing for ages and always sells out basically singing about things we relate to, but its not hate filled or morose. I lived thru the 90..morose is EASY. Depression is EASY. Playing music that touches people and makes them happy is a worthwhile thing.

I have made mistakes live...yeah, I have called off songs a few bars in...If it ever happens I make a funny joke about it and carry on...we're real people, we make mistakes but what Ive learned is noone wants to be brought down. Lose the song, then it cant happen again....and btw what ever happened to that band "Foster the People"? (karma suggested...) -GtrGeorge of Holiday Road

Very reasonable and wise.

• Members

I agree that buzzkilling a dance crowd is a bad move.

I also agree that the song was meant to raise awareness, and while a corporate dance party may not be the place, I hope radio doesn't stop playing it. I'm also surprised to hear stations are pulling Ke$ha's song.. kinda silly.

As a country, we need to stop shoving this stuff under the rug and start talking about it, it's only getting worse (shootings)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy

View Post

As a country, we need to stop shoving this stuff under the rug and start talking about it, it's only getting worse (shootings)

There will be stricter regulations by June. Extended mags, the gun show loophole, and assault rifles are all great places to start.

• Members

Yeah I agree WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM....

But doing it in a 3 minute song , in a room that paid for cover songs, not a smart move.

And do I have to remind people....?

Noone wants to hear musicians views on politics.

It sucks, but its the truth. Ask the Dixie Chicks, Ask anyone who has crossed the line..(Kid Rock you hearing this??)...when we become entertainers we are allowed the same freedom of speech. We surrender the range of what we can say,in exchange for having an inordinate of attention to anything we say. Is it fair? Is this right? I really cant say..but it is this way.

Back on Topic: When people work all day, and all week..and they finally get a few hours away from their hard lives....why bring em down? I stand by what I said before: its better to give smiles, morose is easy.

GtrGeorge

• Members

View Post

Yeah I agree WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM....

But doing it in a 3 minute song , in a room that paid for cover songs, not a smart move.

And do I have to remind people....?

It sucks, but its the truth. Ask the Dixie Chicks, Ask anyone who has crossed the line..(Kid Rock you hearing this??)...when we become entertainers we are allowed the same freedom of speech. We surrender the range of what we can say,in exchange for having an inordinate of attention to anything we say. Is it fair? Is this right? I really cant say..but it is this way.

Back on Topic: When people work all day, and all week..and they finally get a few hours away from their hard lives....why bring em down? I stand by what I said before: its better to give smiles, morose is easy.

GtrGeorge

I don't deny that- but there's also SOAD, RATM, a lot of political songs from the 60's and 70's and 80's, etc.. there have always been and always will be a market for music of political dissent. I stress my agreement that a cover-band is NOT a good vessel for political songs. I do believe that more original bands should get involved though.

• Members

View Post

I have the U2 concert at the Rose Bowl on Blue Ray. Amazing show. Whenever it gets to one of their overtly political songs, I hit the "next chapter" button. I come to the internet to deal with politics. I watch videos and listen to music to be entertained. Period. Taht said, I have no problem with there being some message there.

I believe that all writers, be it book authors, playrights or song writers do it for one of two reasons: 1. make money. 2. Tell a story that contains some type of message the author wants to get across.

The first group would be stuff like "Hot Tub Time Machine". The second would be stuff like "The Time Machine". But even the former has some messages, minor though they may be. And some from the second group are too over the top for me. Norma Rae would be a good example, at least for me. Things To Come would be another, though I enjoy it for other reasons.

Archived