PA Protocol?

mstreck

• Members

We're kind of in flux with our set up, because our drummer quit a couple of months ago. He owned the sound/lights and hauled them around. We hired a new drummer, figured out what gear we had on hand, what we had to to get, and got back on the horse a couple of weeks ago.

So, currently...the gear is divided between the drummer's truck and the keys player's SUV. We meet up at the club, bring everything in, and pile it on the dance floor. First thing is setting up the lights--fairly quick, since they're LEDs. Either on two stands, or hung from bars. Next we scope out the power situation and run cords and power strips where needed.

Everybody sets up their own gear next, except for me. I get the p.a. squared away. Again, fairly quick. I've got our rack set up so the cables are labeled and it's no time at all to hook up the board. I run cables to the powered mains, make sure they're plugged in. I ask the guys to set up their monitors where they want them, and get them plugged in (I use IEMs).

By this time, the guys are set up and they start running their XLRs to the board. I've got the board labeled so everybody knows where to plug in. Bass and keys amp go direct into the board. The drummer is running a Roland electronic kit, so two XLRs for his kit. Plus two overhead mics for cymbals--he uses real cymbals, doesn't like the response of the electronic ones. Plus vocal mics for everyone.

After all this is done, I set up my gear. My Egnater Rebel 30 goes direct into the board. I check the monitors, then soundcheck the mains. The whole process usually takes +/- 1 hour. Teardown time is right around 45 minutes.

• Members

We're kind of in flux with our set up, because our drummer quit a couple of months ago. He owned the sound/lights and hauled them around. We hired a new drummer, figured out what gear we had on hand, what we had to to get, and got back on the horse a couple of weeks ago.

So, currently...the gear is divided between the drummer's truck and the keys player's SUV. We meet up at the club, bring everything in, and pile it on the dance floor. First thing is setting up the lights--fairly quick, since they're LEDs. Either on two stands, or hung from bars. Next we scope out the power situation and run cords and power strips where needed.

Everybody sets up their own gear next, except for me. I get the p.a. squared away. Again, fairly quick. I've got our rack set up so the cables are labeled and it's no time at all to hook up the board. I run cables to the powered mains, make sure they're plugged in. I ask the guys to set up their monitors where they want them, and get them plugged in (I use IEMs).

By this time, the guys are set up and they start running their XLRs to the board. I've got the board labeled so everybody knows where to plug in. Bass and keys amp go direct into the board. The drummer is running a Roland electronic kit, so two XLRs for his kit. Plus two overhead mics for cymbals--he uses real cymbals, doesn't like the response of the electronic ones. Plus vocal mics for everyone.

After all this is done, I set up my gear. My Egnater Rebel 30 goes direct into the board. I check the monitors, then soundcheck the mains. The whole process usually takes +/- 1 hour. Teardown time is right around 45 minutes.

Archived