outdated concept of "a Band " (covers)

Kevin T

• Members

3shiftgtr wrote:

I don't have a problem if folks do the basement/mancave band thing. Just don't ask me to diddly fart around with your bull{censored}. I'll have my {censored} together for each practice. Perfectly everytime. I'm not here to {censored} around. I'm all about fun, but {censored}ing around is not fun.

Waiting for you to figure out a part while you rewind the cd 10 times is not fun. Arguing with a bandmember who can't play their part right, but won't admit it so they argue is not fun. Having to show the bass player his part only to have him forget it next rehearsal cuz he drank too much is not fun. I could go on....

The bottom line is that people who are serious about their music are serious about it and that is fun to them. Then there are the folks who think they are serious, but really just want to {censored} around. {censored}ing around is fine, just amit that you just {censored} around then we'll all know what to expect. And those of us who are serious won't sweat the small {censored}.

Nor will we show up to your beercouch/mancave jams that you call rehearsal. We will show up to the gig prepared and able to play the songs right. That way we won't have to listen to your haint of a wife yell from the top of the stairs that it's time to walk the dog in the middle of working out the bridge in "Bodies".

Also, I'm at the point where if I am going to do the "mancave" thing, I would like to do it with badass players who want to shed on instrumental tunes like So What or Black Orpheus at the very least, or more traditional standards that would kick my ass and teach me something, but not on note for note versions of I Kissed A Girl or Fire, with pauses to help the people who haven't learned the songs yet, lol.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kevin T wrote:

Too many boy scout clubs posing as bands. For the love of God who has that much basement time to waste?

The singer in an old band of mine freely admitted that he loved band practice b/c it got him away from the wife and kids for a guaranteed 3-4 hours a week, lol.

Not my deal at all, since it usually involved waiting around for people to figure out how to play their parts in between drinks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In keeping with my attempts to act professional through the whole thing, I gave the manager my notice and told her I would be happy to play out the booked gigs while they found a replacement. Hilariously, the first thing she asked is if I would still come to rehearsal every week (or more) while they looked for someone. Sorry, but no, lol. Bandleader called me up and wanted the same thing.
--------------------------------------------

lol wow!!!

• Members

You don't need everybody to rehearse, but often the musicians blowing off practices are the same ones not doing their homework on their own.  I remember one bandleader wanted me to drive 45-60 minutes each way to listen to cover songs together so "we" could learn them.  hahaha.  I could do that just fine on my own.  I don't think the guy ever practiced or did any listening on his own though.  Atleast it didn't seem like it.

• Members

I work with pretty specific set of group of people, and we usually book rehearsal only if we are doing something unfamilliar and challenging and we treat it as a cooperative learning expereince.

For example, we had this one jazz gig where we were all arranging  and the drummer brought in a really complex arrangement.  He was playing in 5/4 while the bass is playing the meldoy in 4/4.  I had to play constant 3 note pattern on RH while LH is changing the chord on every 1st beat of 4/4.  We've gotten to the point where we can play it but it's not second nature by any means. 

But I've also played in a band where rehearsals meant playing the tunes over and over again.  On the first rehearsal, I transcribed all the music, prepared everything I could.  The band leader was like "Wow, I've never seen my own music written out like that before".  Needless to say the rehearsals was painful.  These guys have been playing the songs for years, and yet I somehow knew the form better than they did.  The band members argued amongst themselves about the form, hits..etc.  I quite after playing the first gig.  They started asking why it is so hard to find a good keyboard player for their band.. I kept my mouth shut.

I think the bottom line is that if someone is booking a rehearsal, people have to get something out of it they can't just by practicing at home.

Archived