15 passenger van question

• Members

Hello gang,

Can anyone shed a little light on the rules of 15 passenger vans being used by bands that travel to different states? Is there a difference if it is used as private -vs- business use? I know there are strict restrictions for transporting school children but what about a band?

Thank you,

Steve

• Members

It would qualify as a business expense. I have never heard of any restrictive business transportation laws as long as you aren't using it for taxi purposes for strangers and it passes normal inspection.

edit: you might want to get business insurance on it though.

• Members

Thanks for the help and tips. I think the band really needs to get serious about being more of a business rather than a hobby. I believe most states require a CDL if you are transporting school children or a business transporting customers around but still am searching for information about private or business use. I'm sure if a band is traveling through a state with rules about 15 passenger vans, they could pull a seat or two and put them in the trailer. I am also looking into information about whether or not the van and trailer have to pull into a weigh station.

Steve

• Members

Remember if you're also caring equipment to keep the weight low and as close to the middle as you can. I used to have a 3/4 ton extended cargo van and put a bench seat in it so I could carry 5 people total. I also had straps to hold my 760 leslie upright and right against the bench. Got lousy gas mileage, but was very convenient. Bought it very used with a three speed manual transmission. Ran better with use. (Had to replace a cracked distributor and lube the shifter mechanism.)

Archived