Showcases, Fairs, Festivals and Presskits...

race81

• Members

When our band started not yet two years ago, we set our goals to play out a couple times a month.  After almost two years we have exceeded that.  We are now wanting to play to some bigger, built in crowds, so we are looking at some fairs and festivals.  We understand there could possibly be longer travel, overnight stays, etc.  Those of you that have went the showcase route, did it pay off for you?  Sadly in our home state, the commitee requires you have paid dues and attended the convention for the previous two years.  So my thoughts are, why not send our presskit out to any, and every festival we could do next year.  Would be some expense upfront, but again if a job or two comes from it, its paid for.  oh, yes, a presskit.....something we do not have yet.   What makes a successful one....pic, demo, letter of intent, sticker, and biz card is what im thinking.  Only question is, what is in the letter.....anyone have an example they could share?  Im no writer, and sure as heck if I did write it myself, it would be corny....any help appreciated.

• Members

race81 wrote:

...we are looking at some fairs and festivals...Those of you that have went the showcase route... the commitee requires...

Nothing to add to your direct question.  There lots of EPK to look at to get some ideas from. 

But a suggestion if I may.  In my experience, because of the revolving door nature of them, almost any time a comittee is involved, the likelyhood of the favor you did for last years comittee being remembered by this years committee is pretty slim.  Particularly where fairs are concerned.  And there will always be fresh new batch of suckers willing to do the "showcase" thing next year.  As has been mentioned here many times, the price you set for yourself the first time out will likely haunt through your entire relationship with the entity hiring you.  I'm not saying to not do it.  Just to be wary going in.  FWIW.

• Members

We've done the carpet-bombing with press kits for the last two or three years, and have gotten a total of one reply, from an asparagus festival a hundred miles away. I gave them our rock-bottom price to travel that far, and they never called back. For a total of zero gigs scored. We've picked up several festivals, but it was all through in-person contacts. We've looked at playing our regional showcase, but we're not sure it makes sense given our schedule and our reluctance to travel out of state.

• Members

race81 wrote:

When our band started not yet two years ago, we set our goals to play out a couple times a month.  After almost two years we have exceeded that.  We are now wanting to play to some bigger, built in crowds, so we are looking at some fairs and festivals.  We understand there could possibly be longer travel, overnight stays, etc.  Those of you that have went the showcase route, did it pay off for you?  Sadly in our home state, the commitee requires you have paid dues and attended the convention for the previous two years.  So my thoughts are, why not send our presskit out to any, and every festival we could do next year.  Would be some expense upfront, but again if a job or two comes from it, its paid for.  oh, yes, a presskit.....something we do not have yet.   What makes a successful one....pic, demo, letter of intent, sticker, and biz card is what im thinking.  Only question is, what is in the letter.....anyone have an example they could share?  Im no writer, and sure as heck if I did write it myself, it would be corny....any help appreciated.

Its like anything else... it boils down to who you know.  Networking is typically what moves the ball with most things.  Direct mail most of the time ends up in the trash can.   If you are unable to do it yourself ,, you have to pay the agency or booker. who has the network to open the door for you.  If you are not at the stage to work with an agency or booker, your fan base is your next best options.  Manytimes someone will hear your band and will have the keys to open new doors.   

Archived