Cheap ideas for promotional freebies at gigs?

SaintJames

• Members

My band will be playing a couple of shows next month halfway across the country. The venue doesn't allow merch sales, but we still want to have a way for people to remember our name after the show and hopefully start to establish a following there (there's potential for this gig to be a regular thing). 

I've thought of doing 3 or 4 song demos on CD-Rs, full color printing on the discs and then putting them in paper sleeves. Disk Makers does this for a pretty reasonable price (around $1 a disc + the cost of sleeves). I figured I'd see if I could get some other ideas that might be cheaper since we'll be traveling on our dime there and back and don't have a ton of money to spend on this. Has anyone had any luck with like business cards with download codes on them or something like that? Any other ideas? Thanks!

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

The best and most inexpensive thing you can do is play your asses off and mingle and spend some time with the people at the venue.

True that! And of course, we'll definitely have a clipboard out for a mailing list sign up.

We do have a ton of CD Baby download cards from our last album that never sold and we were toying with the idea of handing them out... I'd just hate to give them the whole enchilada for free. And it seems the vast majority - of least the demographic of people that typically like us - still want a physical CD that they can pop in the car stereo on the way home and not just a card that they have to go to a website, put in a code and wait for a download first in order to hear anything.

I think I'm still gunning for the demo CD. Perhaps a Bake Off or Band Garage Sale will help finance them, LOL.

• Members

I saw a band play that had a roll of stickers with their band name/logo on them. They made a big production out of it. "It's butt sticker time!" the frontman would say and he would encourage all the ladies in the audience to come up to the stage and he would slap a sticker on their behinds. It seemed like fun and people walked out of their with their sticker.

Another band I saw had a sheet of paper for you to put your email address. They would give everyone a sticker for signing up for the email list.

• Members

Christhee68 wrote:

I saw a band play that had a roll of stickers with their band name/logo on them. They made a big production out of it. "It's butt sticker time!" the frontman would say and he would encourage all the ladies in the audience to come up to the stage and he would slap a sticker on their behinds. It seemed like fun and people walked out of their with their sticker.

Another band I saw had a sheet of paper for you to put your email address. They would give everyone a sticker for signing up for the email list.

I have some friends that did nipple stickers during spring break on south padre island. 

• Members

Christhee68 wrote:

I used to pass out bumber stickers minus it's butt sticker time. Doubt it would fly gigging in all age family type of joints. 

Archived