UPDATED AGAIN!!!: Benefit Show: Go big or go small?

New Trail

• Members

One of the bands I play with, along with two or three other bands, is part of a benefit show for the victims of the tornados that went through Missouri and Illinois a couple of weeks ago. The show is going to be at a wonderful venue with sound provided.

In this band I play both guitar and keys, depending on the situation. Some gigs I have played just keys, some just guitar, and some both. While I don

• Members

Big! Always go big! But make sure you're not too tired to play from load-in...can't tell you how many times I've had to get through a show on adrenaline. I've started packing chewy bars in my cable bag.

If this is for tornado relief, try and bring a Leslie.

Those tornadoes must have been something else. I'm like 1500 miles north and the wind was making it hard to walk outside.

Wes

• Members

wesg wrote:

Big! Always go big! But make sure you're not too tired to play from load-in...can't tell you how many times I've had to get through a show on adrenaline. I've started packing chewy bars in my cable bag.

If this is for tornado relief, try and bring a Leslie.

Those tornadoes must have been something else. I'm like 1500 miles north and the wind was making it hard to walk outside.

Wes

Are you on a multi-band bill? Do you have a time slot? Will you have a sound check?  Will you have to set up while the other band is striking their gear. The answer to those would determine my big/small issue.

• Members

When I'm on a multi-band bill, I will generally show up EARLY and ask the sound guy if I can park the organ and Leslie on stage and out of the way. This helps a lot with setup time, but it also means I'm in for a LONG day, since I just put it back in the corner when I'm done..and tear down at the end of the show. Of course, this only applies if the stage is a decent size to begin with...

• Members

I find that one of the biggest challenges with these types of shows is the fact that it's rare to know what you're walking into - until you arrive at the show.   I've showed up for "backline provided ... all you need to do is step on stage" gigs only to find that the "backline" keyboard rig is gear that's either so cheap and/or so beaten that it's nothing I'm willing to play.  Other times, I've been told that there will be a staging area next to the stage where we can get our stuff ready for the transition - only to discover that the "staging area" is actually the main aisle leading to the kitchen. 

These days - I show up for these sorts of gigs with my complete keyboard rig in the van - and then decide what I'm going to bring in once I get a look at the situation.   I'm at my best when playing on my own rig - so that's always my preference.  If the situation will allow me to use my own rig (i.e., I've got enough space and time to set it up) - that's what I'll do.  If not, I'll adjust accordingly. 

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

I find that one of the biggest challenges with these types of shows is the fact that it's rare to
know
what you're walking into - until you arrive at the show.   I've showed up for "backline provided ... all you need to do is step on stage" gigs only to find that the "backline" keyboard rig is gear that's either so cheap and/or so beaten that it's nothing I'm willing to play.  Other times, I've been told that there will be a staging area next to the stage where we can get our stuff ready for the transition - only to discover that the "staging area" is actually the main aisle leading to the kitchen. 

These days - I show up for these sorts of gigs with my complete keyboard rig in the van - and then decide what I'm going to bring in once I get a look at the situation.   I'm at my best when playing on my own rig - so that's
always
 my preference.  If the situation will allow me to use my own rig (i.e., I've got enough space and time to set it up) - that's what I'll do.  If not, I'll adjust accordingly. 

That sounds like a good plan.  I have played this venue several times so I know about the sound system,  stage and backstage area (several large dressing rooms) but I don't know the backline situation.  I suspect there will be none.

Archived