Piedmont-style country blues, ragtime, etc.

ZigZagWanderer

• Members

Does anyone here play Piedmont-style country blues and ragtime, like Blind Boy Fuller, Rev. Gary Davis, Willie McTell, etc.? I was wondering if anyone who is gigging with this sort of material has any comments about what songs/material goes over well, what sort of venues you are playing, and any other comments. I am thinking about trying to get an act started that is based on this sort of material, maybe like Hot Tuna, and wanted to know any tips that may be out there.

• Members

I play some Piedmont style blues and ragtime such as Mississippi John Hurt and Gary Davis. For many of the songs, I think the guitar work is the most interesting part, but there are some that work well in front of an attentive audience. For example, Hesitation Blues and Let Me Lay it On You, both Gary Davis tunes, have really funny lyrics. I only think songs like this work in front of an audience that is really paying attention and is not too prudish. Then there are the more sophisticated/difficult instrumental pieces, like Cincinnati Flow Rag, Buck Rag, etc. (sticking with Gary Davis examples here) that can work well, but, again, you need an attentive audience for these too. I pull some of these songs into my performances, but I do not make them the focus. Mississippi Delta (Patton, McDowell, etc.) and Classic/Urban styles (Bessie Smith, Tampa Red, etc.), among others, seem to please the crowds more. Hope this helps.

• Members

I don't play much of that stuff anymore, but one of my "beach songs" is the Candyman by Mississippi John Hurt. It's a relatively simple tune except that there's an inclination to push the bass note to match the hammer ons (in the verse).

I remember listening to Reverend Gary Davis and John Hurt back when I was a teenager.... IIRC there were usually a few beers involved too :)

Archived