"Putting on a show"

kurdy

• Members

I can understand how solo or duo performers may be faced with more of a challenge in keeping the crowd entertained, because you're only one or two people. Much has already been discussed in this forum about song selection, instrumental format, equipment, etc., but how about showmanship? The finer poins of show pacing, audience interaction, tension and release, is it necessary? Those of you who have been at it for a while, what are some things that have worked for you? Also, are there or should there be different guidelines for original vs. cover acts, or for different types of venues? Just some things I'm curious about.

• Members

Depends on the gig. I don't know how to explain it.

Sometimes we interact with the crowd a lot, include themes and running gags. Other times we are sonic wallpaper. Other times we are a dance band going from song to song immediately.

Depends on the gig, the expectations of both the person hiring you and the audience, and the mood of the audience that particular day.

We use our experience and just 'feel it out'.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

• Members

Depends on the gig. I don't know how to explain it.

Sometimes we interact with the crowd a lot, include themes and running gags. Other times we are sonic wallpaper. Other times we are a dance band going from song to song immediately.

Depends on the gig, the expectations of both the person hiring you and the audience, and the mood of the audience that particular day.

We use our experience and just 'feel it out'.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

this is as much help as anyone can offer on this topic. and well put

• Members

Not really looking for "help"...I just thought this topic would make for a good discussion. I figure there's more to keeping an audience entertained than just standing on stange and playing a song...it would be interesting to hear different ideas and approaches.

For instance, there's usually a song or two where I try to get people to sing along, or "help me out" with the song. Too much of that sort of thing can get old, but if you include some moments here and there where you can get people actively participating in some way, I think it allows for a greater connection with the audience. Just a little trick that has worked for me sometimes.

• Members

Sing HEY JUDE'...and at the ending where it goes to "Nah...NAH, NAH. nahnahnahnah"........tell them " SIng along!!". And pray to GOd that they will.

I always try to get people to sing the chorus for Patience while I sing the big finish (I've been walking the streets tonight...) but it sounds more like drunkin mumbling chants than anything else... :)

• Members

I always try to get people to sing the chorus for Patience while I sing the big finish (I've been walking the streets tonight...) but it sounds more like drunkin mumbling chants than anything else...
:)

Isn't that what it sounded like when G'N'R did it? :poke:

• Members

hey kurdy; this is an interesting topic [as far as i'm concerned].i've been doin solo for a couple years and i'm no "showman".i'm really un interesting!but thats the way i like it!don't need any attention.just wanna sing and play what i like [james taylor, beatles ,eagles, stevie wonder] i just can't get in peoples faces and try to make em sing.where i play people sittin round readin talkin whatever.i like being back round dude.....thats it.

• Members

i just can't get in peoples faces and try to make em sing.where i play people sittin round readin talkin whatever.i like being back round dude.....thats it.

Nothing wrong with that. Really, I would say it all depends what type of places you play. If you're playing a restaurant to a dinner crowd, where you're hired to be the background music, then yeah, it's probably better to stay out of the way and let them eat in peace. In that case, "performing" isn't so important as providing a pleasant atmosphere for the customers. But there are other scenarios like clubs or parties, where you are expected to be the entertainment...which is where I think all that other stuff might come into play.

Then I think there's a challenge unique to original artists, which is not having audience-familiar material to rely on. It's tough to get an audience to care, if they've never heard of you or your music. And I think that's where stage presence and a well-thought out show that can help to stand out from the herd...not very many seem to do that, though. The ones that do, those are the ones you tend to remember.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

hey kurdy; this is an interesting topic [as far as i'm concerned].i've been doin solo for a couple years and i'm no "showman".i'm really un interesting!but thats the way i like it!don't need any attention.just wanna sing and play what i like [james taylor, beatles ,eagles, stevie wonder] i just can't get in peoples faces and try to make em sing.where i play people sittin round readin talkin whatever.i like being back round dude.....thats it.

Yeah...this is an interesting topic...sorry for not noticing it any sooner.

Originally Posted by eyesore

Nothing wrong with that. Really, I would say it all depends what type of places you play. If you're playing a restaurant to a dinner crowd, where you're hired to be the background music, then yeah, it's probably better to stay out of the way and let them eat in peace. In that case, "performing" isn't so important as providing a pleasant atmosphere for the customers. But there are other scenarios like clubs or parties, where you are expected to be the entertainment...which is where I think all that other stuff might come into play.

Well, restaurants ARE my main steady gig right now, and it is very different playing to a dance crowd, my background. First of all, don't expect to get a lot of applause. They may want to, but they look around and realize they're in a restaurant setting and therefore applause might not be appropriate, or so it seems. You have to get used to enjoying the music for yourself, even tunes that you have played a thousand times over. There may be folks out in the audience who have never heard "Wonderful Tonight" and your rendition is what they will remember. But, let me get to the topic here...

Then I think there's a challenge unique to original artists, which is not having audience-familiar material to rely on. It's tough to get an audience to care, if they've never heard of you or your music. And I think that's where stage presence and a well-thought out show that can help to stand out from the herd...not very many seem to do that, though. The ones that do, those are the ones you tend to remember.

Excellent approach, Kurdy. I believe you nailed it right on the head. You have to do something that sets you apart from your competition and so having said that, just what are some things one might do?

Some ideas I had:

Wireless headset/guitar (free up movement)

Offer different instrumentation/esembles (solo acoustic set, dance set,etc.)

Sing-a-longs (as kurdy suggested)

Check out dueling piano bars as the rapport between these guys is what sells, IMO.

Check out those who you admire that have a flair with the audience and incororate (steal) some ideas.

Most importantly, even when doing covers, do songs that you can at least tolerate (BEG, Wonderful Tonight, Mustang Sally...you get the point) but always have tunes that you personally enjoy. The audience will "feel" the difference between what you like playing and don't....without ever realizing how. It's that "human" connection....soul touching if you will, that draws them. Wouldn't it be great if we as musicians could always feel that special connection between us and the audience? But alas, it is not meant to be as people have their own agenda and problems they bring in with them. That's a hard thing to overcome and win them over EVERY time. But, we do experience it from time to time, when everything's clcking on all cylinders and you can do no wrong. I live for those momments.

Charlie

Archived