Song Selections When Children Are Present??

Howie22

• Members

I always scan the room for children before I play certain songs. I don't do anything profane, per se, but I try to avoid anything too suggestive when there are little ears present. Not so much that I often expect the little ones to be paying attention, but more so that I think there parents wouldn't appreciate it. I know my wife and I wouldn't appreciate it if we were out at a restaurant with our kids. A few examples. . .

-Blister In the Sun (won't do this one with kids around)

-Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw (won't do this one with kids around)

-Toes (I do a PG version if kids are around)

-Several others that prominently use Hell, Damn, etc are omitted.

Recently I saw a guy do a version of Sex On Fire at a restaurant when there were several young children in the audience. :facepalm: Not sure if it was coincidence, but about half the room cleared out when he played that.

What's your take?

• Members

"man in the box" gets the radio version (pit and spit instead of {censored})

"money for nothin'" gets "maggot" instead of "faggot". I usually do this anyway if I get the vibe that an audience isn't going to get the intentionally ironic use of the word, and that Knopfler is actually making fun of the bigoted furniture movers in the lyrics of the song.

Other than that, my song list is pretty clean.

• Members

I refrain from playing, "Who the {censored} is Alice"

But I will still sing, "toes in the water, ass in the sand". I think it's silly when I hear it on the radio with "ass" blanked out, and "fat one" blanked out! Here in the Philly market, they don't censor Zac Brown on Country radio.

Archived