pitch shifting tip to everyone involved in backing track generation

doezer

• Members

hi

maybe you guys are already aware but i thought i would share this because it certainly is saving me a lot of time/heartache ;)

if i have an audio backtrack and want to come down a few semitones to bring it to my key.

up till now ive been pitch shifting the stereo track (i use wavelab) of each musical part and then re-mixing. but i have found that going down sometimes even two semitones can sometimes cause horrible effects on the sound, especially on guitars or pianos etc.. 

BUT!!  if you make the stereo track mono first and then do your pitch shifting the negative effects are way way less. theyre still there but not nearly as bad. oK you lose the stereo effect but that doesnt bother me personally...

youre welcome! ;)

d

• Members

interesting i dont want to derail this thread but...

how do you find the bose ,  i mean partocularly with the BTs.. do they provide that low end wallop that you need to give that live band feel with the kick drum + bass...  just wondering.  am looking at a sub + sat system at the moment you see. ;)

• Members

Yeah I love it... I've been using it forever- like since a month after it came out years ago. It's great with tracks but it really shines with vocal and acoustic. I have an extra sub that I use for some outdoor gigs and the difference is night and day but I'm normally too lazy to bother bring it. Most that rag on the system are either not using one or are not doing "acoustic" stuff.

• Members

sorry last question.. you mean u normally just use the Bose with basic Bose sub S1 or whatever it is?  then sometimes you mbring an additional bose sub to compliment teh one you normally have? am i right?

and with the BTs it gets that bassy feel right across?  

cool - sounds good anyway..

d

• Members

Sorry cant edit... You do have a point though with sacrifice. I guess I'd rather be using a pair of Eons, a big fat sub and a crisp monitor. But there's no way I'd lug that around a billion nights a year. BUT Im also an audio and tone snob and haven't found any deficiencies in all the gigs I've played on the L1. I'm mean I'm talking about AT LEAST 800 gigs I bet- maybe more. I dunno- I feel like I have the thing wired. But then again it's all about the guitar and vocals- that's all I worry about mostly. If one can't get an incredible sound out the Bose for either of those then there's a problem.

• Members

Bose actually calls the B1 a bass module, not a subwoofer. The frequency response goes down to 40 hz, where human hearing goes to 20 hz. Adding a 2nd B1 will add a lot more bass. The new B2 is a big step up, but not really compatable with the L1 Model 1.

What I found last night was using one B1 with preset 58 added, the bass response is better than using full range speakers with no sub. So with about the same ease of setup, using the 25 lb. B1 had a nice bass response for my BT.

Bring in a heavy sub if you wanna shake their pants :)

Archived