beginner tack set up

• Members

hey whats up?

im just now gettin into the world of racks

i was wondering what some good stuff would be to invest in

i know i definatley want a tuner power condiotnoer and a new wirless

im more intrested in knowing what some good inexpensive power/pre amps are

i was looking at the new carvin sx preamp it looks like it has all the features id like

and id like to get a good cheap poweramp

and suggestion?

also im only 16 so price IS an issue

thanks

alex

• Members

Well like OD said racks are not cheap but popular picks for preamp/power on a budjet would be the ADA MP1 preamp(used 100-150) that defined the 80's metal tone and the Tech 21 Sans amp preamp. For power amp the picks is usually a peavey clasic 50/50 tube amp. Don't forget you'll still need speaker cabs and a midi controller to run it.

• Members

well my current rig is

l/p studio

t. delonge strat (soon to be modified)

nady wirless

fender pedal tuner

randall rh100 head

beringher 4x12 or jonhson 2x12 depending on venue

my band also plays out alot

i mainly want a rack rig for some more versatility and so i can save set up breakdown time at gigs

i was thinking somehitn galong these lines

senshiser (sp?) digital wireless

used furman or comparable condiotner w/ pull our lights

used korg tuner

that new carvin sx preamp (the 3 channel one)

don't know what poweramp

i like the 3 channel b/c i think it would work well for what im doin

i really just need 3 sounds accsessible at all times

clean mild distortion and a harder distortion

thats why i like the 3 channel set up

what do u guys think? i fugre that rig should run me about about 600-700 plus the price of the poweramp

• Members

Hmm..don't know much about the carvin. Is it midi controlled? I don't see any FX listed, do you run a dry clean and a couple of dry distorted tones? Looked up the pre at carvins site. $280 for a solid state preamp is not bad. No midi though so if you ever want to control chanels make sure what ever FX unit you get can do amp switching too. Something like the G-major at $500 would be a great next step. Unless of course you dont use fx.

edit- Ah a little more reading at the Carvin site..I did not see at first that the SX300R comes with Reverb, Chorus, Flange, and Echo plus the optional footswitch controler. Hey for the money and a first rack why not. Have fun, if you dont like it your only out $280 and the great thing about a rack is you can easily upgrade the componets.

• Members

ive also discovered the peavey rockmaster preamp its a tube preamp that looks like it can be found reasonbly cheap on the used market is this a good one? how would it compare to the carvin the peavy is tube how much do u think i could get a rock master for and how much does a used 50/50 usually run im definatley looking into buying used

also does anybody know of any god stores in south florida that carry a lot of used rack gear

thank you

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Originally posted by amilostagain

ive also discovered the peavey rockmaster preamp its a tube preamp that looks like it can be found reasonbly cheap on the used market is this a good one? how would it compare to the carvin the peavy is tube how much do u think i could get a rock master for and how much does a used 50/50 usually run im definatley looking into buying used

also does anybody know of any god stores in south florida that carry a lot of used rack gear

thank you

i just picked up a NOS Rock Master for $126 out the door (without the footswitch, but the one for my bandit works). it can get some brutal tones, if you're into that, and the cleans are nice as well.

• Members

stay away from the 3 channel carvin sx. The sound is very uniform, undynamic, unexpressive, and unresponsive. I am not dogging carvin. I have 2 carvin cabs, a poweramp,and a carvin neck. You would be much happier with an ada mp1. You might also consider a rocktron piranha or chameleon. DOn't forget the rocktron pro gap.

• Members

What do you want:

A. good looking rack

B. good sound

:(

If you want A then invest all you have in wireless, tuners, powersupplies, fx, gadgets, etc.

If you want a good sound. Then invest all you have in a good preamp, poweramp and speaker combination. Wireless and all the other stuff are nice add ons, but for a killer sound you need something to provide you with this. A fancy wireless, powersupply, tuner nor fx will get you there.

You sum up all things you really want to buy which are in my opinion not vital. And you want to find the most inexpensive pieces of gear which are the most important imho.

It's your free choice and please, do what ever feels good to you. But I think you'll be back on this forum within 12 months complaing you ain't got tone. It would be a pitty if you have already invested all your money in stuff that won't get you anywhere near a good tone.

Maarten

• Members

I'd stay away from that Carvin SX or that new one (The blue one).

If you're looking for Carvin, then look at the old Quad!

Some other preamps that are well priced are:

*Marshall JMP-1

*Engl 530

*Rocktron VooDu Valve

*Rocktron Ganiac

*Voodoo Labs Preamp

*ADA MP-1

Archived