Line 6 Echo Pro Opinions???

• Members

I love min but I am using mine w a SoundSculpture Switchblade which is a Switcher/Line Mixer - herego I can put the Echo Pro in my chain where I want to. This helps alleviate some of the "design" issues if you will - such as low headroom on the input i.e. clips out etc. W my Switchblade I can run my signal like this - Gtr -> Echo Pro -> Amp - or I can run it in the loop etc....As a stand alone unit w/oi a line mixer I think it's great but you may/may not get frustrated w some of the limitations of running one in your loop direct....Hope it helps -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Thanks for the replies.... Here's kind of what I'm looking for.

Right now, I'm running a Marshall 30th Anny, fixing to have another 30th come in from Voodoo Amps. I'm probably only going to use the Voodooed one live, but I've been thinking about adding a rack pre/power setup to my rig and I realized that this would really help with my effects problems. I pretty much only want delay on some cleans, but very few distortion settings, maybe a solo preset, but that's about the extent of it.

I wouldn't be opposed to a multi-effects unit, but I've seen a lot of downers on them due to limitations. So basically I'm just looking for something with a really nice delay sound, with a good bit of flexibility.

Besides the solos, the reason I'm going to be using some delay is that with some of the stuff the other player/lead singer is writing is really modern compared to what I'm used to playing and seemed to be geared to single player. He likes some weird stuff thrown in here and there and I'd rather do that than basically go sit at the bar during some of those songs. Just kinda weird being that I only play guitar and he's singing and playing guitar, and I'm the one sitting out half the song. Yet I digress. :D

Thanks for your time.

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Thanks for the replies.... Here's kind of what I'm looking for.

Right now, I'm running a Marshall 30th Anny, fixing to have another 30th come in from Voodoo Amps. I'm probably only going to use the Voodooed one live, but I've been thinking about adding a rack pre/power setup to my rig and I realized that this would really help with my effects problems. I pretty much only want delay on some cleans, but very few distortion settings, maybe a solo preset, but that's about the extent of it.

I wouldn't be opposed to a multi-effects unit, but I've seen a lot of downers on them due to limitations. So basically I'm just looking for something with a really nice delay sound, with a good bit of flexibility.

Besides the solos, the reason I'm going to be using some delay is that with some of the stuff the other player/lead singer is writing is really modern compared to what I'm used to playing and seemed to be geared to single player. He likes some weird stuff thrown in here and there and I'd rather do that than basically go sit at the bar during some of those songs. Just kinda weird being that I only play guitar and he's singing and playing guitar, and I'm the one sitting out half the song. Yet I digress.
:D

Thanks for your time.

I would check out a TC electronics Dtwo. It`s a really great sounding clean delay unit.

I would also make sure I have a mixer running with it or make sure the amp has a parallel effects loop. The parallel effects loop also is really only good if thats the only digital processor you intend on running.

Tom

• Members

What kind of limitations are you running into with multi units?

• Members

Originally posted by jd01

you can't beat the line6 for what it does and for the price. but for a bit more you can get a more "pro" piece in the TC D-Two. doesn't do all the crazy stuff the line 6 does, but in terms of a practical, professional unit it's amazing and cheap

A couple of folks have mentioned the D Two, but I saw in another post in this forum that it has some limitation on the stereo delay times or something. Anyone have any info on this? I'm interested any just about anything that'll work well with my setup. Thanks.

• Members

A couple of folks have mentioned the D Two, but I saw in another post in this forum that it has some limitation on the stereo delay times or something. Anyone have any info on this? I'm interested any just about anything that'll work well with my setup. Thanks.

Well, every piece of equipment (and our physical selves) have some form of limits (a delay may have an upper delay time limit of 5 seconds, 60 seconds, 200 seconds...whatever...we have to ask ourselves is the limite going to be constraining...ie is the limit below our requirements spec)

I think it might be best to more clearly define what you need/want out of a delay unit.

Some things you may want to consider

Do you need stereo?

Do you need program storage?

Do you need MIDI control?

What kind of MAX delay time are you needing?

Does it need to have a modulation section?

Do you need multi-tap capability?

do you need tap-tempo capability?

Are there design elements you need OR want to exclude (like, for instance, maybe you feel that real-time control is important as opposed to signle-encoder data entry type interfacing)

How do you intend to use it (I mean musically as opposed to what "with what equipment will it interface)?

There are other questions, but some of these may help you define what you need, want, and can reasonably expect out of a unit

• Members

Good points Morepaul.

The only knock I could find on the dtwo is the lack of a dual delay line for stereo delays. This would really not be an issue in a rig that`s mono, unless you still wanted more than one delay line at a time. It does still give you an option of a 200ms. left channel offset to increase the stereo imaging but that`s not a ton a time.

Sound quality is where this piece excels. It`s the closest thing to a 2290 out there and for far less money.

The dtwo has other really cool features though like rhythm tap where you can actually tap in a rhythm pattern. It`s also got all the cool delay add-on features like ping pong, ducking, spatial, filter(high and low cut), reverse, chorus. These features are basically always available. In other words you can have rhythm delay (ducking), ping pong, and filter on at the same time.

With the echo pro dynamic(ducking) delay is an algorithm where it mimic a 2290, so it`s not stereo. The stereo delay is another seperate algorithm. So it`s not like you can have stereo delay with ducking or these low resolution delays everyone talks about.

In the dtwo you don`t have the two different delay lines but you have all the feature available pretty much accross the board.

I can understand if you want more than the one delay line w/ a second of only a 200ms. offset. This is why I have two of them in my rig.

It`s all in what you really need and what you feel like can live with or without.

Tom

Archived