Neat Cabinet trick!

• Members

Okay guys, you can laugh at my duo of Carvin 2X12's, but I altered them for the better. They came with a 7" wide open back. I closed these off with plywood. I then filled the cabinets with poly-fill. It's like fake cotton. The two cabinets sound huge now.

I had heard from a car-audio guy that polyfill or insulation would make the soundwaves travel more slowly in the cabinet. This would therefore fool the speaker into believing it was housed in a larger cabinet. He was right. Money is tight at the moment, and this was the biggest tonal improvement for the money I've ever heard.:eek:

• Members

Interesting!!

Actully a friend of mine told me to re-wire the inside of a cabinet with a cable like "Soundrunner 10awg speaker cable" and said to also change the back of a back loaded cabinet with a "Birch Ply" wood, baltic quality wood. He said if you both are done, the cabinet will sound like a totally different better sounding cabinet.

Duke

• Members

Originally posted by TheChopsyWanker

Hmm, I wonder if I did that to a 4x12 if it would make it sound even bigger. Where did you get the polyfill?

My Mom had bags of it for stuffing stuffed animals. I said, "Mom, is this stuff expensive?"

She said, "It's only like $2.50, take it."

I was like, "{censored}in' A!! ROCK AND ROOOOLLL!!!"

I actually didn't yell that. It can probably be had at Wal Mart or a craft store.:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

My Mom had bags of it for stuffing stuffed animals. I said, "Mom, is this stuff expensive?"

She said, "It's only like $2.50, take it."

I was like, "{censored}in' A!! ROCK AND ROOOOLLL!!!"

I actually didn't yell that. It can probably be had at Wal Mart or a craft store.
:confused:

lol, I can just imagine you yelling that about a bit of stuffing...:D

Anyways, I think I'll make a Walmart trip tomorrow. That'd be a good project to do during my time off from work. Thanks for sharing the idea!

• Members

When I use an amp, I run two cabs, one open back and one closed, each with a 12" speaker. I had forgotten about filling the closed back with poly-fill. Thanks for the tip.

My stereo speakers are filled with insulation. Years ago a company named Dynaco used to do this with a port design, and claimed that it evened the response/impedance of the speakers. I don't know the specifics, but they were only 10" two-ways and they sounded great--tight, punchy bass.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

I'll work on that tomorrow Duke. My parents are sleeping by the equipment. I just graduated from college. (The explanation for current living situation.)
:(

Graduated IU? Congrats! I'm a senior now at least. Are you back in Fort Wayne? If so, let me know. I'll try to let Joe B. and Al know that you're in town.

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Graduated IU? Congrats! I'm a senior now at least. Are you back in Fort Wayne? If so, let me know. I'll try to let Joe B. and Al know that you're in town.

Sorry Grinder:( . I am moving to Carmel today. It was hillarious, I was in "Crash and Twang", the new music store out west. The guy says, "Wow, are you a music student?" I say, "No, sorry. I'm an insurance man now.":( :( . My dreams and my 4.5 year vacation are over. I will also not be able to play loudly anymore in my new apt. I am really sad today.

Archived