poweramp/preamp setup

• Members

Yes and Yes....

The JMP1 covers alot of ground. It can get all your vintage Marshall tones, sparkling cleans, mild OD, and super heavy gain.

It is one of the best preamps made in my opinion and I've owned just about every one out there.

Steve

• Members

The JMP-1 will get you there (billy's tone) but not on it's own; Billy uses a lot of effects on his sound, I believe a combination of Lexicom MPX and Digitech 2120.

A 6L6 poweramp will help, soif you can, check out the Peavey Classic 60/60.

• Members

Originally posted by Dennis808

The JMP-1 will get you there (billy's tone) but not on it's own; Billy uses a lot of effects on his sound, I believe a combination of Lexicom MPX and Digitech 2120.

A 6L6 poweramp will help, soif you can, check out the Peavey Classic 60/60.

does anyone know what tubes billy has in his jmp '78?

• Members

Originally posted by SteveLINY

Yes and Yes....

The JMP1 covers alot of ground. It can get all your vintage Marshall tones, sparkling cleans, mild OD, and super heavy gain.

It is one of the best preamps made in my opinion and I've owned just about every one out there.

Steve

Steve, you really think the JMP-1 sounds that good? Does it have any sterile-ness to it? I heard it doesnt sound very tube-like and it doesnt cut that good live. Anyone have any clips of the JMP-1?

• Members

I used a JMP-1 for a while with a 20/20 power amp until I switched to a Mesa Quad preamp. The JMP-1 sounds pretty good, especially when paired with a good beefy tube power amp. The one thing that I felt that it lacked was the ability to cut through a loud stage mix so that your leads really stood out. The Mesa Quad does a good job of this. I have since switched power amps so now I run the Quad through a Mesa 295. Power pre and power amp are loaded with JJ tubes and I am very happy with the tone. I wish I could have tried the JMP-1 with the 295 power amp though...

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderchord

Steve, you really think the JMP-1 sounds that good? Does it have any sterile-ness to it? I heard it doesnt sound very tube-like and it doesnt cut that good live. Anyone have any clips of the JMP-1?

Well anyone who thinks that must have had crappy power amp and cabinets...

I toured with one for a long time and have played hundreds of

gigs with it.

I have a JMP1 in 2 of my racks including my main rack. It happens to be side by side with a VHT GP3 and an Engl E570SE.

I power it with a pair of VHT 2/90/2 power amps going into 4 VHT cabinets.

I have always gotten many compliments on how huge and awesome it sounds live.

You can nail a hot rodded JMC800, Plexi, and many other sounds along with super heavy metal sounds.

If you're ever on Long Island, you are more than welcome to take it for a test run.....

Steve

• Members

I'd go with a 50/50 or 2:50 poweramp instead of the 20/20, simply because I really dig the JMP-1 with a 6L6 poweramp.

I'm runnin' the JMP-1 with a Mesa 50/50 poweramp with JJ 6L6GC tubes, and I'm getting some great tones. The poweramp used with the JMP-1 is VERY important, as is the cab.

Steve, how do you like the E570? I'm considering changing my JMP-1 for a E570 or E580 some day. Though I'm not in a rush... :)

• Members

Originally posted by pala

There's no headroom in the 20/20, if you need "clean" cleans get at least a 50/50.

Pala

I used a 20/20 with a halfer preamp and the cleans sounded good and band volume.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveR

I used a 20/20 with a halfer preamp and the cleans sounded good and band volume.

That's why i upgraded to a bigger EL34 power amp.

But no headroom dosen't mean that the 20/20 didn't sound good...!

Pala

• Members

Well I'm running a JMP-1 with a 20-20, and I have to say I'm not entirely happy... at very low volumes the JMP-1 just stinks, I hate it. completely thin, fuzzy, no cut, no character, no life in the cleans. But as you crank the power amp it makes a MASSIVE difference, and does sound quite good. Cleans also improve, but are still very substandard in my opinion. Unfortunately I've never played any other preamp, but by the sound it makes on it's own, at low volume with no power tube distortion to beef it up, i'm sure the other preamps out there must be better... I'm looking to try some Mesa preamps sometime, if I could find any...

I'll have to try the JMP-1 with a 6L6/EL34 power amp though, see what difference it makes. I can imagine it improving the cleans somewhat.

• Members

I can get extremely close to his tone with the JMP-1 > Mesa Strategy 500.

The bass boost on that power amp really compliments the JMP-1.

I haven't found an amp that can replace it's tone on stage. It's amazing. If you know how to set it you can cut through the mix very well.

I was going for a robotic-ish metallic tone on this one:

http://www.pillforkids.com/petsample.mp3

Archived