New to racks...

65_289

• Members

I am looking strongly at building a rack, and I am starting at the preamp. The types of music I like/play include

Rage Against The Machine

Stone Temple Pilots

Tool

System of a Down

Pre-black album Metallica

Pink Floyd

Jimi Hendrix

I am looking at the JMP-1 and Voodoo-modded MP-1. Are there any others I should be considering? I know I probably can't cop all of those tones with one unit. I'd like to stay below $600. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by 65_289

Wow, that sounded really nice. Was that a stock JMP-1? You think I could pick up a used one for ~ $400?

$400 is what i paid for mine used. It is stock. :thu:

That clip is the JMP-1 into my Mesa Strategy 500 power amp then into a Mesa 4x12. PRS Singlecut with Duncan JB and PRS Standard 24 guitars were used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

You could nail all of the tones of the bands you listed with just a single channel head, a good guitar, and a volume knob...

Why go rack?

I'm down for all ideas. What single channel head would fit the bill?

• Members

Originally posted by 65_289

I'm down for all ideas. What single channel head would fit the bill?

Cool man it just depends on what kind of effects you want to run... do you need an efx loop?

If not, then go for dynamics and response over versatility.. LIke a Soldano HotRod, VHT deliverance, or possibly an Orange Rocker30, Laney GH100Ti. You could use a good volume pedal like a goodrich for cleans.

Or if you need a footswitchable efx loop or midi control... well then there are a whole lot of channel switchers out there (of course) Randall RM100, Rivera, Orange Rockerverb (not midi)

I just wanted to give you alternative input because you seem to have a really focused idea of what sounds you'd like to produce. Most rack players are schizophrenic.. they want fender one minute, vox, then marshall then some kind of super-megadistortion the next. You don't seem really into that judging by the bands you listed... and probably will eventually feel drained with too many options. Plus your listed bands have an earthy quality... racks sometimes end up kind of processed or sterile feeling after adding lots of cables and eq.. processors..etc

I got rid of my rack for a rivera KHR 100 head... I run it with a small pedalboard and a 4 space skb efx rack that I run in the efx loop with a midi controller and a furman voltage regulator. There's just enough versatility without making me feel like I'm flying an airplane. And it has much better response to my picking dynamics than my old rack.

Just my two cents... racks are definately fun and practical for the right kind of player

• Members

The problem with some of those amps listed is the price. For example, I have estimated a decent rack to be:

JMP-1 ($450 used)

Peavey Classic 50/50 ($350 used)

Furman power conditioner ($50 used)

Rocktron Xpression ($300 new)

Behringer FCB1010 ($150 new)

8-space Rack ($140 new)

That's about $1500 for a very versatile rig, even if some parts are used. An Orange Rocker 30 is $1299 new, with no effects loop. Plus I'd have to add effects.

Archived