Eventide Eclipse

dmk

• Members

just how good are is it?

can it do so much more than a cheaper rack? i've read through the manual on the eventide website and some of the algorithms seem pretty amazing. but do they really sound that good and different?

so in summury, is it really worth

• Members

I just got mine two days ago. It was worth every penny (and $1,995USD is a lot of pennies) I don't have clips yet but it does things impossible with anything but an eventide. I am just scratching the surface, I haven't gone through half of the presets yet and I've done very little in creating my own but I'm blown away.

I owned a G-Major for about two years, I've used the G-Force quite a bit and just in the small amount of time I've spent with the Eclipse I can say it's way beyond any other guitar fx unit out there, by a long shot.

• Members

I spent about 3 hours last night with my TriAxis, DMC Ground Control Pro and Eclipse...My goal was to make a custom patch from scratch for each.

I decided I wanted a low gain rock lead tone that sort of resembles the typical fender tone.

I use Rhy 1 Green on the Triaxis with the gain at 9 cut the lows and made it pretty mid-rangey until I had the exact tone I wanted.

Then I started playing with the eclipse. I created a Preset called Blue-Lead and it consisted of the dual compressor and the stdelay+rev alg's. I figured the compression would work fine post-preamp since it was mostly a clean tone, and it did, and sounded great.

The delay sound I wanted was a little tricky to get...I wanted it to be obvious but not overwhelming when playing softly. So I cut most of the reverb off of the dry mix and just reverberated the delay a little, sounded perfect.

After that I setup my expression pedal that is plugged into my midi controller to control the send level of the delay+rev. So I can have it as dry or as wet as I want via my foot.

It took me three hours to do that, but 90% of that time was learning the units.

The sound is stunning, it is so far above the G-Major and G-Force it isn't even funny. To be honest I enjoyed editing the patches on the Eventide way more than on the G-Major or the G-Force. It's easier initially to adjust the TC stuff but I always hated editing patches on them. Once you get the hang of it it's not bad at all on the Eclipse and there is a lot more to tweak.

I think in a lot of ways it's as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

• Members

the more i read about the eclipse the more i want (need!) one.

though i've still yet to hear any clips of some of the more unique sounds to the eclipse. not just the stand delay and reverb, the more wacky stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by DoubleAgent

Does the Eclipse include a preamp?

I use a 2120 which I like, but it's not in the same leage as the Eclipse obviously.. a convenient thing about it is that the preamp is included.

The Eclipse is not a Preamp, although it does have distortions and it is capable of having a guitar plugged in direct the in's and outs are meant for +4db line ins and outs.

There are actually two tones I love that I can only get from the Eclipse and not my Triaxis, but I would say a good preamp is a more important part of the rig than the eclipse

• Members

ok - here are 15 examples

these were all done with a clean sound on the preamp straight into the computer - no other processing involved....

ambiclouds

band delays

biomec 2

delay 8 plex

detune 4 plex

diamond rain

earth rise

electrofilters

fuzz & pitch

ghosting delay

instamagic

my bloody valentine

quintillizer

rhythm ringers

splatter gtr

obviously this is only scratching the surface, but i tried to get a good cross section of sounds, veering slightly towards the unusual...

cheers

sim

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a grudge against Eventide. After playing with my GTR4000 for years and trying to edit patches for virtual pedalboard, I eventually hopped on the eventidehelps yahoo group for assistance.

Besides the on board patch editing being confounding and the Windows GUI patch editing being ridiculously difficult, being told by Eventide's Italio DeAngelis that the 4000 series could not do what I wanted it to do, and that an upgrade to the 7000 series would be sufficient was where I reached my limit.

Granted, I sold my GTR4000 for as much as I bought it for since units like that don't lose value. But while I owned it, I spent more time trying to program the Eventide than I did playing guitar. I would hesitate to recommend an Eventide (though they do sound wonderful IF you can get what you want out of them). This is especially the case with guitar rigs.

Hopefully the Eclipse does not leave the same impression with you that the GTR left with me.

• Members

I've got the DSP4000 with GTR card and I don't bother with the virtual pedalboard. The harmonizer sounds more natural to me than the G-Force but I think the G-Force seems more stable. I have never had any warbles from the GF but have got some occassionally with the DSP4000. Chorus and delays are fantastic but I don't like the reverb. So for my use:

DSP4000

Modulation

Special effects and pads such as "Crystals"

Delays

Pitch

G-Force

Reverb

Pitch

Phaser

I do use the modulation and delays on the G-Force too sometimes, simply because it's so easy to use and control via MIDI and it really does give you a virtual pedalboard without the headache.

• Members

Does the Eclipse include a preamp?

I use a 2120 which I like, but it's not in the same leage as the Eclipse obviously.. a convenient thing about it is that the preamp is included.

Buy an Axe Fx Ultra. It is comparable to the Eclipse, easier to use, better support and includes a preamp.

www.fractalaudio.com

users samples

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewforum.php?f=3&mforum=axefx

Archived