ACCESS by hughes and kettner

• Members

Since I didn't feel right posting on a thread started by a scammer. Let's talk about the Access here.

Guitarslinger,

Please elaborate about what you like about the Access compared to your other preamps?

Is it a Triaxis killer? or just different? I know the routing possibilities is astounding on the Access. I had a TC M-one hooked up in series and parallel. What other pre can do that without external equipment.

Jun

• Members

Well I haven't compared mine to an awful lot of preamps, and haven't really had it long enough to make full use of all the different FX loops and the Preamp loop

But I've gotta say it's an awesome sounding pre. Each channel has a unique sound all of it's own.

Once I get it back from the shop (they're still trying to get the Stageboard to work) I'm going to try and give it a proper run through with the different loops and try to get a hold of a multi effects unit and experiment with that as well.

So far the only thing that I wish it did have was the possibility to send CC messages as well as program changes.

Other than that it's one of the most versatile pre's I've come across with a great sound.

• Members

Mine didn't come with a stageboard. I'm just using program change with my ada mc-1 pedal.

The tube 2 on the access is hard to pin down. It's a little bit like an ada mp1, but with more gain, less noise, more tonal control, etc.

It's definitely high end.

It's not better or worse than the triaxis. It's just different. The routing capability is self explanatory and unbelieveable.

The triaxis DOES have a louder, better clean channel though.

I love3 the external preamp loop. You just disengage the access modes to access the pre loop.

• Members

The cleans I wasn't impressed with either since it's SS. I've tried TUBE 1 with the gain turned down for cleans.

Unfortunately, I've noticed slight tone suckage using the external preamp loop but you gotta love the fact that the 'Gain' is pre and 'Master' is post loop which turns any non MIDI preamp into a programmable one.

Jun

• Members

Yeah I realise I will have to use a different Midi floorboard if I wanted to use CC.

For the moment I think I'll be fine with just the Stageboard, but may invest in an FCB1010 later if it really bugs me.

Yeah the Preamp loop is damn useful. I plan on using mine for mainly studio work, but I also play bass in a band and plan on experimenting and seeing what kind of distorted bass tones I can get out of it, but use the preamp loop to be able to get back to my main bass tone.

Got a feeling I may need to get an EQ unit tho if I plan on using it with my bass.

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

The cleans I wasn't impressed with either since it's SS. I've tried TUBE 1 with the gain turned down for cleans.

Unfortunately, I've noticed slight tone suckage using the external preamp loop but you gotta love the fact that the 'Gain' is pre and 'Master' is post loop which turns any non MIDI preamp into a programmable one.

Jun

tube vs SS isn't the best way to judge clean tone. my jc-120 clean is unreal. I also like the mp-1 clean.

that said, the access clean is pretty far down in the standings compared to

jc120h

blue angel

traynor ycv40

triaxis.

etc

• Members

On it's own I guess the clean channel isn't anything to rave about, but I wouldn't say it's below average.

I generally use mine with a BF-3 in FX3 and a marshall Echohead in FX2 and it sounds fine to me.

But then thats the great thing about the Preamp loop, you can just use a better pre for cleans.

• Members

Is your 'balance' set to 63?

When I bought mine (used) it came with a Sound Module B pamphlet so I assume mine is too but I opened it up to verify, it wasn't obvious.

Jun

64 actually;)

I guess 63 is actually center with 0-127 being the lower and higher.

I gave up late last night. funny sidenote, the mesa LD1red sounds unbelievable going through the access. It has never sounded so full.

BTW, I think I bought a tube that was fucked right out of the box for my triaxis a few weeks ago. The clean channel on the triaxis has been ticking pretty loudly.:( It's a JJ 12AX7

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

okay,

update.

the ticking in the triaxis was the result of an experiment I did. I heard that a 12at7 in v3 of the tri would keep the op amp from overdriving. the tube sounded like a ticking timebomb. The jj is back in and it sounds fine.

I still think I might sell my triaxis, which leaves me with another problem. I now have nothing to phantom power my mc1 pdal. I either have to find a stage board, get a processor with 7 pin out, or try to retro fit a printer cable end onto a 7 pin midi cable.:(

• Members

Like the Access over the Triaxis huh.....

Jun

I still haven't heard the access at super loud volumes yet.

I was just thinking, I could make a killing on the tri since I only paid $399 for it.

+ I need the rack space and I plan on using my jazz chorus head for cleans anyways.

THe only problem is, the triaxis is the only phantom power provider I own.

I'm thinking I might get an intellifex or somwthing just so I can still have phantom power. acually, now that I think about it. My SE50 won't go 100% wet, therefore it's out of phase in parallel with the access. The intellifex will do 100% wet.:idea: :idea: :idea:

• Members

I did a pretty extensive tube swapping session on my Access, Rock Master and Piranha today and after installing Groove Tubes I decided I'm taking the Access for my gig tonight.

I haven't given up yet but the Piranha had more of a SS precessed sound compared to the other two.

Jun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

My manual told me studioboard b version 2.0 or something like that.

maybe there's cutoff in the serial numbers like a before and after key (a la triaxis 2.0, phat mod, non fat, etc.)

I have 2 boards. And the SB 2.0 addendum to the manual. Maybe, I'll open it up and compare the boards.

I cant believe there's no info on these damn things.

Archived