Gigged w/Peavey Bravo today!!

• Members

I just received a Peavey Bravo this morning, which is a all tube 1x12 combo, that I only paid $115 for from Instrument Exchange. The tolex is peeling in places but nothing a little adhesive can't fix.

It was quite a disappointment at first, since I've been reading on the Peavey forum how great these amps are, but after swapping the original 20+ year old Peavey tubes with JJs the amp came to life!!!

Connecting to a closed back 1x12 cab (w/Mesa EV) really turned this little amp into a tone monster.

Sometimes it's nice to leave the rack system at home and plug a guitar straight into a nice amp. The only drag is that now my wife is wondering why I spent $1500+ on a rack system.

Jun

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm really liking the 'Ambience' patches (w/the direct signal turned all the way down, Guitarslinger) on the SE-50 in this W/D/W setup. Very natural sounding and just plain HUGE!!

This efx unit is a sleeper for $50.

The Hughes and Kettner Access is half way out the door.

Jun

• Members

I used a Bravo for about 2 years.I loved it, with some execeptions

When playing the upper registers in the Ultra channel it always sounded a bit SS to me (tube change didnt solve it)

The clean channel was typically Peavey sounding.

I had it connected to 2 2X12's and it roared!

While it could be mic'd for live work it barely had enough volume to compete with a full "loud" band in rehearsal.

I tried using the preampout into a tube poweramp but it just didnt sound the same-lost its balls.

It does have a little trick.If you unhook the reverb the knob will function like a "character" control(effect was more noticeable using the dirt channel)

• Members

The Realm,

When playing the upper registers in the Ultra channel it always sounded a bit SS to me (tube change didnt solve it)

I don't get that impression at all with my Bravo with all JJs. I will have to try the 'character' knob trick tonight.

Last night I did an experiment with the Peavey Rock Master pre and Bravo pre into a Carvin Legacy efx return (EL34), Classic 60/60 (6L6), and the Bravo (EL84) all through a Legacy 4x12 with V30s. I understand it's not a true ABCing of the different tubes but the results were very interesting.

Both preamps were very good thru all amps but the Bravo clean with the tones all the way up and the 'Bright' switch engaged had a sheen that the RM had a hard time recreating.

Basically Crunch/Ultra sounded best through EL34s, the cleans were best through 6L6s but the surprise was the EL84s which was the best of both worlds. I esp. liked the clean channel on the RM, since it has quite a bit more mids and lows, breaking up nicely with the EL84s. A sound that neither EL34 or 6L6 can come close unless it was blasting.

Jun

Archived