Peavey Tubefex

• Members

It is by far the best MIDI preamp I've played. Tone wise I prefer it over the Hughes&Kettner Access and the Rocktron Piranha. Sounds are very similar to the Peavey Rock Master, which I love, very organic with an infinite number of tone shaping options. The efx aren't great but very useable.

I must sound like a Peavey shill talking about how great their gear is recently.

Jun

• Members

I've been interested in these units for sooooo long. This and also the Transfex preamp and head. Never got to play one.I've heard this unit is very good but also hear it doesnt quite equal a Rock Master. What do you think?

I have a Piranha and am not 100% happy with it. I prefer my Peavey XXL over it for both cleans and distortion.

I have a FJA modded Rock Master on its way.

• Members

I love the Rock Master tone so much I got rid of the Access and Piranha. The routing is outrageous on the Access but the tone just wasn't as inspiring. The Piranha was too processed sounding esp. the flashing gain channel.

Think of the Tubefex as a programmable Rock Master with infinite tone options.

Make sure if you get a Tubefex IMMEDIATELY get the battery less memory chip. Battery leakage has caused many units, including mine, to fail.

I have been interested in the Jerry P Rock Master, now that I have found a MIDI preamp I'm happy with I might have to get that mod.

Jun

• Members

The Peavey Tubefex is the best MIDI preamp period. The tone is very inspiring to play but the best part is the signal splitter and programmable efx loop. You can insert these anywhere in the signal chain.

Last night I took a dry signal, right after the tube preamp, to a Carvin Legacy half stack while the main outs were connected to two Mesa Thiels for the wets. The beauty is that the dry signal can have effcts added depending on where I insert the loop.

I don't need a Sound Sculpture Switchblade to run stereo, wet/dry, W/D/W or mono. Truly amazing that this is close to 10 years old.

Jun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lets talk a little more about the TubeFex... Like I said earlier, I've had GAS for one before I knew what GAS was.

I'm really enjoying the Rock Master, and it may end up being my main preamp. I've narrowed it down to three choices. Rock Master, which I have and is great, Prophesy II which is on a UPS truck so we'll see, and the Tube Fex. As far as the Tube Fex goes, I'm not looking for it to sound better than the Rock Master but rather offer more convenience in the fact I won't need to purchase a Replifex. So I have a few questions:

---How is the Noise Gate?

---Is there enough processing power to handle the effects without degrading your tone?

---Have you tried a Trans-TubeFex and the result?

---How are the Delays and Chorus?

---How are the cleans?

• Members

Tubefex review after 3 weeks.

---How is the Noise Gate?

If set correctly works fine

---Is there enough processing power to handle the effects without degrading your tone?

Routing is the strength of this pre.

With the 'signal splitter' effect, the dry signal is routable to the left or/and right main outputs.

The 'FX loop' option allows you to insert a stereo send/return loop anywhere in the signal chain.

Run mono, stereo, wet/dry, or wet/dry/wet.

---Have you tried a Trans-TubeFex and the result?

No, but judging from the other older Peavey products I've purchased recently, it probably sounds pretty good.

---How are the Delays and Chorus?

The efx are slightly lacking due to it's 10+ age but very useable. The delays only go up to 780ms. Chorus sounds good, haven't really tweaked it.

---How are the cleans?

Very comparable to the Rock Master with endless EQ options.

My Rock Master pre has forced me to sell the Hughes & Kettner Access, Rocktron Piranha, Soldano SP-77 and Mesa Studio Pre for tonal or versatility reasons.

I plan on keeping the Tubefex, probably pair it with a TC Electronic M-one. I would love to add two Mesa 20/20 power amps and have a compact 4sp rig.

Jun

• Members

Sounds like a cool unit. The routing thing is pretty new to me but I believe I have somewhat of a handle on it. I don't need a ton of effects so I wouldn't be buying any other units to run in the loop. Just chorus/delays on cleans, dry distortion, and distortion with delays for soloing, which I'd probably split to wet/dry in my stereo cabinet. Sounds like it would do the job just fine.

I know you said it is very similar to the tone of the Rock Master.... but which elements make it slighty different?

• Members

I know you said it is very similar to the tone of the Rock Master.... but which elements make it slighty different?

It sounds slightly processed compared to the Rock Master to me. Definately not as bad as the Piranha and significantly better than the Access.

Jun

Archived