marshall 8008 + E 530 ???

alekke

• Members

OK, I know I am probably boring as hell right now

but this is the coolest place to ask questions :D + I know the answers are straight and pro!

So:

I got an offer to buy this power amp.

What do you think about it?

How would my engl 530 work with it?

(this wouldnt be the final solution, just temporery until I win the lotto and buy myself VHT :D )

• Members

I have both a Marshall 8008 power amp and a Bassman 135 head.

I used to use an Alesis Quadraverb GT as a preamp, and it definitely sat better with the Marshall than the Bassman. Main reason being the Bassman has it's own preamp which you have to run through as there's no fx loop return you can use to bypass it.

It was better straight into the Marshall where the tone controls on the preamp dictated things rather than having to balance it all against the tone controls of whichever channel of the Bassman I was plugged into.

Volume wise my Bassman 135 probably makes more noise than my 8008 with my cab (a stereo 2 x 12 with G100 8 Ohm Celestions). However I am then hooking up both speakers to the Bassman which makes the overall impedance 4 ohms from the Bassman's perspective while each side of the Marshall puts out 80 watts into a 4 ohm load while my speakers are 8 Ohm. Therefore I could get more volume from my Marshall if I had different speakers to hook up to. Most importantly neither is too quiet. :thu:

Hope this helps, but as always, if you can, try it first.

• Members

thanks, any answer is a good answer, specialy like this one!

Ill try to get it, but unfortunetly amp is in Bosnia and I am in croatia so Im goin to have to trust you guys.

Yuo said marshall has only 4 ohms per chanell?

thats too bad cause my cabinet is 4 ohm mono or 2x8 stereo.

• Members

Originally posted by alekke

Yuo said marshall has only 4 ohms per chanell?

thats too bad cause my cabinet is 4 ohm mono or 2x8 stereo.

There is no impedance switch on the two outputs of the 8008. You must have. at the lowest, a 4 Ohm speaker connected to a channel. In this case each side can push out up to 80 Watts. You can happily connect any speaker with a higher impedance (8 or 16 Ohms for example) but you'll get less watts and correspondily less volume out of it.

If you use a 2 x 8 Ohm stereo cab each side can push out about 55 Watts (if I've done the maths right), so about 110 Watts combined. This is what I do with my cabinet and it is more than loud enough.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I supose it doesnt have a bridge position either? So I could connect it to a 4ohm brighed in full power!

waaahhhhh, why do I bother at all! Guy just told me that he dont want to sell it without a cabinet. Its amp and cab or nothing. But I allready have a cab. Ita not much money, 400euro for both, but why when I dont need it.

my luck has passed!

In the end it will be velocity 100.

Archived