Preamp suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by phydeaux99

I'm looking for the best examples of classic Fender and Marshall sounds in a single MIDI capable unit. Any ideas?

the only fender sounding preamp is the groove tubes trio = $700 or so used. not midi capable.

the marshall jmp-1 does marshall, but it won't do fender clean.

NOTHING WILL DO FENDER CLEAN EXCEPT FENDER AMPS.

MOST preamps have a killer clean, but it usually sounds more like a roland jazz chorus. examples:

ADA MP-1

Triaxis

CAE 3+

HK Access

Soldano SP-77

etc

• Members

Randall or Egnator RM4/EM4 with blackface, plexi, and superlead modules.

I also highly recommend the XTC module, it's VERY dynamic and you get a great range of tones from your volume knob.

It's the only preamp I know that can do fender and marshall, and does midi channel switching.

-W

• Members

Originally posted by HMKRich

^ does the M4/RM4 really do the fender cleans? I thought it was better for gainier stuff.
:confused:

I owned the RM4 for a while, and I actually found it better for clean/midgain stuff then for ultra high-gain. I did extensive mods on my high gain modules and never was happy with them.

The blackface, plexi, and XTC modules were very nice. Nothing is going to sound exactly like a fender or a marshall at the same time because the poweramp sections are so different.

Rack setups are compromises. You put them together to get a wide variety of useable tones. You don't build a rack because they sound the best. If you want the best, you buy a head or a combo.

-W

Archived