Higher end or lower end

gwarner

• Members

Hello, I am looking to start a rack based gigging rig. Basically just a preamp, power amp, effects unit, and most likely a wireless. I am wondering if I should save longer and get like a JMP-1 and mesa or vht power amp, or get an ADA MP-1 and peavey power amp. If I got the cheaper one, I would spend the other money on recording gear. What would you do? Also if you have any other suggestions, I would like the preamp to use MIDI so I can switch patches quickly.

• Members

Originally posted by gwarner

Hello, I am looking to start a rack based gigging rig. Basically just a preamp, power amp, effects unit, and most likely a wireless. I am wondering if I should save longer and get like a JMP-1 and mesa or vht power amp, or get an ADA MP-1 and peavey power amp. If I got the cheaper one, I would spend the other money on recording gear. What would you do? Also if you have any other suggestions, I would like the preamp to use MIDI so I can switch patches quickly.

I'm gigging with an MP-1 and Peavey Classic120, and I love the way my rig sounds. I also have a Korg DTR-2, Alesis QuadraVerb, and Samson Wireless, along with a Tapco SQ-2 and Juice Goose.

The MP-1 sends phantom power down the 7-pin cable to the pedal, an ADA MC-1, so there's only one cable going to the front of the stage, and no ugly extension cords or wall warts.

• Members

IMO, the MP-1 slays the JMP-1 for most styles (and this is coming from a Marshall fan). The only preamp that might be better than an MP-1 for me is a Triaxis, but that costs like 10 times as much...

Power amps... I love my Marshall EL34 100/100 to death, but I really haven't played through any other rack poweramp apart from some heads used as poweramps.

Archived