Mesa Strategy 500

• Members

About how much will one run me? Also can it get just a little brighter than your clips, or does the recorder do it justice?

$650-$850

The recording doesn't really do it justice. It's bigger and meaner in person. The presence is on 7.5 most of the time so it can get brighter.

• Members

Anything similar to this? I Saw BillyCorgan's clips on youtube and was really digging his sound. The 500 is just so hard to find.

I sold mine on eBay last week. Sorry you missed it.

As great as it sounds, the Strategy 500 weighs about as much as a dump truck. It was not as portable as I need an amp to be right now (take into consideration, also moving cabinets, preamp and effects units up & down stairs).

Besides the weight, upwards of 200 watts per side is a bit too much power for an apartment setting. And honestly, the town I live in SUCKS for live music. I don't think any local venue could even tolerate the volume levels that amp is capable of producing.

At this point, I'm just looking for a lighter stereo amp. I'm using a MosValve 80 watt per side solid state for the time being (at about 12 lbs.). It does not sound as clean or solid as the Strategy, but the lighter weight and smaller size are very refreshing.

Archived